Windows 10 keeps changing default applications RRS feed

• Question

• I use Chrome as default browser and Adobe Reader as default PDF viewer. Windows 10 keeps changing the default program to Edge. I tryed several ways to do this, but all of them have been unsuccessful:

1. Setting as default applications in System Configuration

2. Setting as default applications according to file extension under the same system configuration

3. Uninstalling Edge, which was impossible, Edge is simply embedded into W10. Actually deleted the program, but then documents and links simply stopped opening since Edge was not available.

4. Tryed DISM as explained in this article, but DISM does not work with W10? https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825038.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

5. Tryed reinstalling W10 several times, different compilations and languages. This issue just comes back

Tested on several computers with Windows 10 Pro, all compilations (anniversary, creators, etc).

Are we simply doomed to use that Edge browser and whatever program that W10 considers as default?

Has anyone found a solution, quick fix, a startup script, patch, anything?

I have seen many people having the same issue, but noone seems to fix this, or be very concerned about this annoyance... I am really fed up with W10. Best solution I realize is downgrading to W7 or use another OS.

I think this problem is related to Windows Update, every time the system installs anything (which is almost every day), it changes the default apps.

Help please!?

best regards,

Cristobal.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:37 PM

All replies

• Kindly check if you experience the same after creating a new user account with same privileges.

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Friday, June 2, 2017 1:01 AM
  • Hi socorropc,

What is the exact version you are using? Is this a domain environment?

I checked my Windows 10.14393.1198 Enterprise and Windows 10.15063.296 Enterprise version. It is available to configure the default browser and it will be kept.

As S.Sengupta suggested, please try to test with another account.
    Try to reset all the settings to default then configure it again.

Considering you are Pro version, we could try to use the gpo (Administrative Templates\Windows Components\File Explorer\Set a default associations configuration file ) to force the default program configuration.
    Here is a link for reference:
    Set the default browser using Group Policy
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/set-the-default-browser-using-group-policy

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 2, 2017 1:33 AM