"Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap (Wdf01000.sys)" and a Blue Screen appearing frequently on my Windows 8.1 (64-bit) laptop and laptop restarting all of a sudden. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am Arka Dey. I am using a Windows 8.1 64-bit single language Dell laptop. Recently I have installed an update to my Windows 8.1 (X-64) operating system from the "Windows Update" available in the "Control Panel" section of my laptop. But from that very day when I installed the updates, my laptop started behaving weird sometimes.

The problem is while I am using my laptop, a blue screen suddenly appears and it says, " Your PC has run into a problem and needs to be restarted." Along with it there is written the following message: " You can later search for this online - Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap (Wdf01000.sys)". After displaying this for a few seconds in the blue screen mode, my laptop automatically restarts. This has been happening for sometime for the past few weeks. I do not understand the meaning of the message displayed in the blue screen and nor do I know the reason behind its occurrence. Please help me with a solution to this irritating problem as I am not a student of computer related sciences and software technologies. Neither am I that tech savvy. So please do help me with a guide or set of instructions to solve this problem of mine. The detailed specifications of my laptop are given as follows:-

System Information

OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1 Single Language
    Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DELL
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    System Model Inspiron 5521
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU Inspiron 5521
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A11, 29-08-2013
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Embedded Controller Version 1.01
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Mobile
    Secure Boot State On
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale India
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.3.9600.17031"
    User Name DELL\Arka Dey
    Time Zone India Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 7.88 GB
    Available Physical Memory 5.08 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 12.6 GB
    Page File Space 8.00 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

N.B. : If you need more specifications about hardwares then I can send them to you in later messages. Please help me.

• Edited by Arka Dey Sunday, April 20, 2014 11:36 AM
    Sunday, April 20, 2014 11:35 AM