Questions about Outlook 2016 calendar invites RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes, I get invites that really mess up my calendar in Outlook 2016. I'm sure you've seen it. It looks like this:

My question is how do I build proper invites that plug into another person's email seamlessly with multiple events in them? In this specific instance below I had to copy and paste all three events into my calendar and delete the green calendar overall.

• Edited by ResidentX10 Monday, January 1, 2018 7:59 PM
    Monday, January 1, 2018 7:27 PM

All replies

• Hi

What do you mean by “plug into another person's email”?

Do you mean that meeting showed on another calendar?

Please post back with more details so that we can help you better.

Regards,

Perry Pan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, January 2, 2018 8:46 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, January 8, 2018 1:13 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, January 8, 2018 1:13 AM
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 8:15 AM
  • Hi,

Just to check whether this issue is solved now?

Regards,

Perry Pan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, January 5, 2018 8:03 AM
    Friday, January 5, 2018 8:03 AM
  • Sorry got busy. I read this but forgot to reply. 

I need invite to plug into their "general" calendar not create a second or third one like above. 

What does the user do to make it create a new calendar and not plugin to existing one?

• Edited by ResidentX10 Tuesday, January 9, 2018 10:48 AM
    Monday, January 8, 2018 3:21 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

How did you get the second and third calendar? Are they created and shared by others?

If this is the case, I am afraid we have to manually copy the meeting entries to our own main calendar. You can refer to this link for more details.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:31 AM
  • I misstated my previous comment and updated it. The green calendar was an appointment from Adobe but their events never plug into my calendar. They always create new calendar invites.
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 10:49 AM
  • Hi,

>> The green calendar was an appointment from Adobe

By Adobe, do you mean a third party application which can send appointments to Outlook?

Could we know whether this issue only happen to appointments from Adobe? If so, I’d like to encourage you to also contact Adobe Support to confirm whether this is an expected behavior or if there are other users encountering the same situation.

If there are any other things about the issue I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:39 AM
  • Adobe is an example. Other applications do this too...again I'm trying to figure out how to stop this and why this is happening. Please stop blaming others. If you don't know then say so and let's close this. Telling me to contact other parties is simply ridiculous.  
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:53 AM
  • Hi,

I can fully understand your frustration.

Based on my knowledge, generally when other people send you a meeting request, the meeting will be automatically added to your default calendar. So the issue in your situation really confused me. I have tried to test in our environment but cannot reproduce the issue when receiving meetings requests from other users. I’ve searched a lot but failed to find any similar questions either.

Therefore, I am assuming that if the issue only occurs to events sent by the Adobe application mentioned in your post. Considering here we do not have a similar environment with Adobe application to help test further, so personally I suggested contacting the Adobe side as well to confirm if other users of Adobe have a similar experience.  

Regarding your concern about “Other applications do this too...”, have you checked if there is any difference between the events sent by applications and those sent by a real user? Is the appointment sent by the application attached as an .ics file? If this is the case, this might be an expected behavior that the calendar opens separately and you may have to manually copy the events to your own calendar. 

Regards,

Perry

Monday, January 15, 2018 7:32 AM
  • Could other mail systems cause this problem like Lotus notes, Google, or Novell?

I can send you the invite if you want to look at it, do you have a file upload location?

Send me email here, ***@***.com

Monday, January 15, 2018 7:39 AM
  • Hi.

Sorry that we don’t have those applications in our environment to help check further. I’ve tested in Outlook and found that if we receive the appointment via a ics attachment, the calendar will open separately and you may have to manually copy the events to your own calendar. Please have a check whether this is the case on your side.

In that case, as a workaround, we could view multiple calendars at the same time side-by-side or combined into a stacked overlay view to help see availability across calendars. Please refer to this official articles for more details.

Besides, I’m not familiar with how those applications send appointments to Outlook. You could send the invite or more information to the GBSD TN Office Information Collection: ibsofc@microsoft.com. Please involve the thread URL in the email message for easy follow-up.

By the way, in order to protect your private security, please remember to remove all your personal information like email address before posting.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:48 AM
  • What you stated above is exactly why I'm opening the case. 

I’ve tested in Outlook and found that if we receive the appointment via a ics attachment, the calendar will open separately and you may have to manually copy the events to your own calendar. Please have a check whether this is the case on your side.

I need a solution. I'll work on this again tomorrow.

• Edited by ResidentX10 Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:02 AM
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:01 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

As we discussed above, if we receive the appointment via a ics attachment, the calendar will open separately.

This is an expected behavior. I'm afraid that Outlook may not have such a built-in option to directly add the appointment to your default Calendar.

As a workaround, we could view multiple calendars at the same time side-by-side or combined into a stacked overlay view to help see availability across calendars. Please refer to this official articles for more details.

Thank you for your understanding and support!

Regards,

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:22 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ResidentX10 Wednesday, January 24, 2018 3:22 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, February 9, 2018 2:04 AM
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 9:43 AM
  • Why would I want to have multiple calendars? My post here was so I could avoid this. This is just clutter.

I would want to have the option to either add to my existing or created a new calendar(rarely). 

• Edited by ResidentX10 Thursday, January 18, 2018 12:14 PM
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 12:13 PM
  • Hi,

In order to add the iCalendar file to your existing Outlook Calendar, you may download it to a local disk and then import it. To do this, Please  go to File > Open&Export > Import/Export. Select Import an iCalendar (.ics) or vCalendar file (.vcs) and click Next. Follow the Wizard to add it to your calendar.

Regards,

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ResidentX10 Thursday, February 8, 2018 12:53 PM
    Friday, January 19, 2018 8:41 AM
  • I did that originally but I'll do it again. When I did this before I was on a locked computer without office so I had to download it locally and import it into the cloud for it to work. 
    Friday, January 19, 2018 11:04 AM
  • Hi,

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you. 

If you have any other feedback about Outlook, you could also submit it via File > Feedback.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, January 22, 2018 2:27 AM
    Monday, January 22, 2018 2:19 AM
  • I'll use file feedback and send the .ics to the email above. I don't really thing any of these answers qualify as a solution though. 
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 3:21 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your understanding and support. If you have other concern about this issue, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, January 25, 2018 1:18 AM
  • This issue is not resolved. Please don't "propose" as the answer until we get the solution. Telling me Office can't do that is not a solution. 
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 12:54 PM
  • I got a calendar invite that had multiple dates that plugged correctly into my calendar. I'm sending it to you for review. 
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 4:03 AM
  • I sent them to here, ibsofc@microsoft.com

3 emails with these subject lines:

Calendar Invite that plugs into Outlook 2016 Correctly.

Outllook Invite that doesn't plug in correctly

Thursday, February 22, 2018 4:24 AM
  • Hi,

According to my research, these two files are different.

The AdobeSeries.ics file is a whole calendar item. While, the webinar-761364984.ics is an appointment item. That’s why they are opened in a different way.

To test this, you could go to File > Save Calendar. Choose iCalendar Format (*ics). This ics file will be opened in a separate calendar page.

If you directly forward an appointment item, this file will be opened with the appointment editing page.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, February 23, 2018 10:01 AM