none
Shutdown Scripts Blank on Creators Update (1703)

Question

• I have only been able to find a couple of forums that mention this, but thought that this would be a good place to ask if anyone has seen this behavior. On a fresh install of Windows Creator Update 1703 and fully patched, including the CU from 6/27/17, our shutdown script windows are blank command prompt windows instead of showing the echo tech such as "installing some application version blah, blah, blah...."

This works perfectly find for all of our 1607 workstations but as soon as I update to 1703 or install a fresh 1703 and join to the domain, the shutdown scripts are blank.  I need to see which script is running so that if I have a hangup I can determine where it might be happening.

This is the Enterprise Edition by the way, have not tested another edition.

Thanks in advance...

Mrl1te

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Monday, July 10, 2017 4:40 PM Move to more appropriate forum
    Monday, July 10, 2017 4:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Steven,

It's confused.

Did you apply a shutdown script of your own?

If yes, you should check if your script file content. And you can manually click it to run to see if it's correct.

If you mean the system shutdown, if no any running document, txt or other program prevent it from shutdown, it directly shutdown without any prompt message.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 2:48 AM
  • I am talking about batch scripts that we have in place using Group Policy.  The scripts run fine outside of the shutdown process and run fine in version 1607 of the Windows 10 Editions but when we setup a new 1703 windows 10 installation and apply group policy, the command windows that would normally display the "Echo" line in our script that describes what the script is doing is just a blank command window with no text inside of it. 

Thanks,

Steve Gear

Mrl1te

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 12:01 PM
  • This suggests that the scripts are hanging do to some issue with the content of the scripts.  Try running a script with only an echo and a "pause" statement to see if it has output.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 3:48 PM
  • The scripts do actually run, but there is no output in the command window to indicate what is running, where it is in the script with the echo function.  The same scripts run and display fine in the 1607 version of Windows.  I believe there must be a group policy issue somewhere with this but I was hoping others had run into it as well.  I have only found one other forum where someone is mentioning the exact same thing.

Mrl1te

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:11 PM
  • For Group Policy issues post in the Group Policy forum.

Did you try and run a script with only an echo and a pause?  I suggest that would be your first step in debugging.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

I think that your problem is same with that I'm facing.

I posted one forum, and another one also posted similar problem.  

social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b2bbbf73-a559-4ad2-8fff-abd4564542c0/after-installing-creators-update-of-windows-10-logoff-script-cant-be-run-correctly?forum=win10itprogeneral

social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e07d7ce3-bfb5-49d7-a142-57f53e78c451/visible-shutdown-script-broken-window?forum=win10itprogeneral

The problem has not been fixed yet.  I believe this is a problem about logoff process of the Windows 10 Creators Update version.

I'm not sure if MS is investigating this problem.

I stopped to upgrade to the Creators Update so far.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 5:49 AM