Can I use SCCM 2007 to deploy SCCM 2012 Agent RRS feed

• Question

• I was reading the scenarios for deploying the SCCM 2012 agent here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682132.aspx

I have been planning to deploy the 2012 agent using an SCCM 2007 deployment package. I am not migrating any data/packages/collections/anything from SCCM 2007.  I am looking for a sane way to deploy 2000ish clients a day for 2 weeks and be done.  I figure they are all SCCM 2007 clients so lets deploy 2012 agent using SCCM 2007.

I read the following in the link above and it sounds like the way I want to go – use SCCM 2007 software distribution…

Upgrade installation by using application management

Upgrades clients to a newer version by using Configuration   Manager application management. You can also use Configuration Manager 2007 software   distribution to upgrade clients to System Center 2012 Configuration Manager.

Then later in the same document there is this…

How to Upgrade Configuration Manager Clients by Using a Package and Program

You can use Configuration Manager to create and deploy a package and program that upgrades the client software for selected computers in your hierarchy. A package definition file is supplied with Configuration Manager that populates the package properties with typically used values. You can customize the behavior of the client installation by specifying additional command line properties.

You cannot upgrade Configuration Manager 2007 clients to System Center 2012 Configuration Manager by using this method. In this scenario, use automatic client upgrade, which automatically creates and deploys a package that contains the latest version of the client.

What???!??  There is no Automatic client upgrade feature in 2007 – so how does that even make sense?  In one section, it says I can deploy the 2012 Agent using SCCM 2007 software distribution, and then later in the same document, it says I can't.  I am probably misunderstanding somthing.

Is it possible to make a package/program in SCCM 2007 that will make targeted clients upgrade to Agent 2012 and join the new SCCM 2012 Site?

Monday, February 3, 2014 8:23 PM

Answers

• I think there is some context missing here (the documentation library is kind of circular in this way, on this topic).

The distinction seems to be, if you are "migrating" or not. i.e. "migrating" as defined by MS for this topic, where you will migrate a CM07 hierarchy to a CM12 hierarchy. Which you said, you aren't. So, the way I read it, *you* can't use a CM07 package/program to deploy the CM12 client because *you* aren't "migrating".

We performed a "migration" from CM07 to CM12, and we largely used client push for that, which was, in hindsight, not the best option we could have chosen.

MS do say in a few places, for various client deployment choices (I'm paraphrasing): you could do it this way but don't make *this way* your first choice. (which seems to be MS-speak for "that way sucks, doesn't give you good control, so only do it if you must")

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, February 7, 2014 10:10 AM
    Monday, February 3, 2014 8:47 PM
  • If you haven't turned on Site Assignment or enabled boundaries on the 2012 side yet, be sure to include your MP in the installation command line. Ie. ccmsetup.exe /MP:server.domain.com /SMSSITECODE=XXX

The machine will show up in the new site within 10 minutes of the upgrade.
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, February 7, 2014 10:11 AM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:46 AM
  • Hi,

Yes it is possible to create a package/program and deploy it using SCCM 2007 to migrate the client to the new Configuration manager 2012 site.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Monday, February 3, 2014 8:41 PM
  • Using or not using the migration aspect of ConfigMgr 2012 will not affect your client deployment in the least.  You can (and should) use ConfigMgr 2007 to deploy your 2012 client.  Make sure you test/pilot and that you have the correct client install parameters (i.e. SMSSITECODE=XXX) for the advertised package.

Monday, February 3, 2014 9:42 PM
  • I tested this (deploying 2012 agent using existing 2007 SCCM infrastructure) with a few test systems at my desk and it seems to work pretty smoothly.  I made a package to deploy SCCM 2012 SP1 and added it to my SCCM 2007 Site.  Then I deployed the 2012 agent from 2007 and it worked great.  If it works this well in production, I will be able to migrate all of my clients in less than a weeks time. 

I have not published the 2012 site information in AD - and I don't plan to.  We would have some overlapping site boundaries - and in 2012 it seems its unnecessary in a single site hierarchy.  I AM planning to use boundaries to assign DPs, but thankfully site and DP boundaries have been separated.  It works great to just specify the site in everything and not worry about auto discovery.  My clients don't move among sites since I only have one large site.

Sorry that I somehow posted this same question twice, and thanks for cleaning that up.

In my installation, I just called ccmsetup.exe with the following command line...

/mp:myMP.mydomain.com CCMLOGMAXHISTORY=5 CCMLOGMAXSIZE=1000000 SMSCACHEFLAGS=PERCENTDISKSPACE;NTFSONLY SMSCACHESIZE=10 SMSMP=myMP.mydomain.com SMSSITECODE=CCM

I am not sure that I need to specify the MP twice, but it is working to do so.  I'm also not sure whether the log and cache flags will be honored since there are existing settings from SCCM2007 agent.  I think that the 2012 install will not change these settings upon installation, but it does not appear to hurt the process to include them just in case it does work.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:04 PM

All replies

• [I accidentially posted the same thing twice.  Sorry about that.]
    • Merged by Juke Chou Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:13 PM dup thread
    • Edited by ToddMiller Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:06 PM
    Monday, February 3, 2014 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

Yes it is possible to create a package/program and deploy it using SCCM 2007 to migrate the client to the new Configuration manager 2012 site.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Monday, February 3, 2014 8:41 PM
  • I think there is some context missing here (the documentation library is kind of circular in this way, on this topic).

The distinction seems to be, if you are "migrating" or not. i.e. "migrating" as defined by MS for this topic, where you will migrate a CM07 hierarchy to a CM12 hierarchy. Which you said, you aren't. So, the way I read it, *you* can't use a CM07 package/program to deploy the CM12 client because *you* aren't "migrating".

We performed a "migration" from CM07 to CM12, and we largely used client push for that, which was, in hindsight, not the best option we could have chosen.

MS do say in a few places, for various client deployment choices (I'm paraphrasing): you could do it this way but don't make *this way* your first choice. (which seems to be MS-speak for "that way sucks, doesn't give you good control, so only do it if you must")

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, February 3, 2014 8:47 PM
  • Using or not using the migration aspect of ConfigMgr 2012 will not affect your client deployment in the least.  You can (and should) use ConfigMgr 2007 to deploy your 2012 client.  Make sure you test/pilot and that you have the correct client install parameters (i.e. SMSSITECODE=XXX) for the advertised package.

Monday, February 3, 2014 9:42 PM
  • The way that SCCM 2012 does group discovery renders Automated Client push (almost) unusable.   If group discovery did not add objects to SCCM, but only added information to existing objects - then maybe.  i don;t want someone to add a machine to an AD group I am "monitoring" and have it suddenly deploy the client to that machine -- so push is out.

Using WSUS to deploy the client sounds really dumb.

GPO is a possibility, but I don't like the way that it is MSI based vs EXE based and the stuff with 32bit and 64bit and where do you stick your commandline arguments (in a config file! - no thanks)

If I did use a GPO to deploy the SCCM agent, it would be via logon script.  I am actually thinking of this way to "maintain" the SCCM client after the migration is complete.

I figure I will deploy the agent with SCCM 2007.  It is easy enough to test I guess.  It will work or not and I should find that out very quickly.  I am very comfortable with deploying things this way in a controlled way -so few surprises assuming it works.

Thanks for the pep talk.

Monday, February 3, 2014 9:57 PM
  • If you haven't turned on Site Assignment or enabled boundaries on the 2012 side yet, be sure to include your MP in the installation command line. Ie. ccmsetup.exe /MP:server.domain.com /SMSSITECODE=XXX

The machine will show up in the new site within 10 minutes of the upgrade.
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:46 AM
  • Hi Torsten,

I am merging the two threads together. It should be better remaining locked and questioned. any question, let me know.

Thx.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:12 PM
  • I tested this (deploying 2012 agent using existing 2007 SCCM infrastructure) with a few test systems at my desk and it seems to work pretty smoothly.  I made a package to deploy SCCM 2012 SP1 and added it to my SCCM 2007 Site.  Then I deployed the 2012 agent from 2007 and it worked great.  If it works this well in production, I will be able to migrate all of my clients in less than a weeks time. 

I have not published the 2012 site information in AD - and I don't plan to.  We would have some overlapping site boundaries - and in 2012 it seems its unnecessary in a single site hierarchy.  I AM planning to use boundaries to assign DPs, but thankfully site and DP boundaries have been separated.  It works great to just specify the site in everything and not worry about auto discovery.  My clients don't move among sites since I only have one large site.

Sorry that I somehow posted this same question twice, and thanks for cleaning that up.

In my installation, I just called ccmsetup.exe with the following command line...

/mp:myMP.mydomain.com CCMLOGMAXHISTORY=5 CCMLOGMAXSIZE=1000000 SMSCACHEFLAGS=PERCENTDISKSPACE;NTFSONLY SMSCACHESIZE=10 SMSMP=myMP.mydomain.com SMSSITECODE=CCM

I am not sure that I need to specify the MP twice, but it is working to do so.  I'm also not sure whether the log and cache flags will be honored since there are existing settings from SCCM2007 agent.  I think that the 2012 install will not change these settings upon installation, but it does not appear to hurt the process to include them just in case it does work.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:04 PM