Can't add Hotmail account to Outook (Office 2016) RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add a new account (for a @hotmail.com account) to Office 2016. After entering my credentials I get a popup reprompting me for my password (with the *.hotmail.com I entered pre-populated as the username). I can't get past this prompt - just keeps asking me for the password over and over.

I can access the account from the web just fine and, yes, I have absolutely, totally checked I am not fat-fingering my password :)

I have tried this many times and also from a second machine, also running 2016. In short, I can't add a hotmail.com account to Office 2016.

I was previously running Office 2013 and this account was working just fine in Outlook from there. For unrelated reasons, I had to create a new mail profile in Outlook I now need to add my hotmail.com account, but have the problem above.

I have been looking at this on and off for a couple of days but can't figure out what's happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mark

Mark Williams

Saturday, October 17, 2015 3:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Please test by typing the password in a text file, then copy and paste it in the Password box in Outlook, will Outlook then recognize the password?

Please also check if you have turned on the two-step verification, if yes, turn it off and check the result again:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/two-step-verification-faq

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, October 19, 2015 7:22 AM
  • The "two-step verification" solved it for me.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 1:43 PM
  • I tried your suggestion, but still nothing.  I'm trying to add @hotmail.co.za account?  Any other ideas?

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 5:50 PM
  • I assume you're trying to add the Hotmail account on Office 2016 on Windows 10. I had the same issue. The Hotmail account is associated with the Windows user so the email account is already present in the "Windows Mail" program.

While trying to add the Hotmail account in office 2016 I've got "server not found".

However I was able to add the Hotmail account manually:

1) Choose the manual setup

2) select Exchange ActiveSync

3) Complete all info and choose server: m.hotmail.com

Saturday, July 23, 2016 11:35 PM
  • Turn off Two Step Verification for your Microsoft account.
    Friday, November 4, 2016 11:16 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  I do NOT have two step verification turned on.  I tried the copy paste option as well as deleting any stored credentials.  I get the Windows Security dialog box over and over.

This happened after getting an email stating that I needed to delete and re-add my Hotmail account to Outlook 2016.  Now I can't add my Hotmail account to Outlook 2016 at all.  Would uninstalling outlook help?

• Proposed as answer by MrEnglish Saturday, January 7, 2017 4:50 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by MrEnglish Saturday, January 7, 2017 4:50 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2016 7:09 PM
  • The same thing happened to me .. I received an email asking me to delete and recreate the account

Now my outlook 2016 crashes when I try to re add the account.  even with activesync.... still working on my ipad and iPhone though.

I hope somebody can help

Friday, November 18, 2016 1:36 PM
  • I am having the same problem.

I deleted the profile and tried to readd and the account too nothing works.  Even when I did through Exchange ActiveSync but it can't download my emails it says trying to connect.

This sucks really bad.

Kirk

kirk

Sunday, November 20, 2016 12:59 AM
  • Same problem here.  I removed the account from my profile and tried to add it again as suggested by the email from MS.  But, I cannot get it to add the account.  I do not have two factor enabled. Something broke and bow I can't get my "live.com" email!!!
    Sunday, November 20, 2016 5:21 AM
  • I'm facing the same problem. I'm trying to setup Outlook (Office 2016) to use my Hotmail.com-account on a newly installed Windows 10 x64 and a newly installed Office 2016. I'm using the IMAP-settings and it didn't work whether using the 2-step verification or not. I'm able to access my account using the browser as usual.

Regards

Monday, November 21, 2016 5:03 AM
  • Samething here. Hotmail work on mail app, on iPad and iPhone, but not in Office 2016 (Outlook 2016). Try everything list above. Very frustrating.
    Monday, November 21, 2016 11:04 AM
  • Same problem. Come on Microsoft, sort it out!
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:46 AM
  • Same here.  Hotmail through Outlook was working fine up until Nov 18th.  The all of the sudden it doesn't work. It's been 4 days now.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:07 PM
  • I tried all the above; but this works. Set up the server as : m.hotmail.com

Thank you very much. I was just about to give up

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 6:56 PM
  • Same here.  I've spent about three hours today trying to re-add my Hotmail to Outlook after they told me to delete and re-add it, but it just doesn't work either automatically or manually.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 7:23 PM
  • I'm having the exact same issue. 

I updated my Outlook, it continuously asked for my Hotmail password. I deleted that account and tried to add again and then this happened. 

I have tried ALL of the suggestions but still nothing. 

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:10 PM
  • I had the exact same problem. For me it worked when I added the account manually and used outlook.office365.com as mail server. This address suddenly appeared by itself after I tried a couple of others I found on the web.

I also used an app password and kept two-factor-varification on since it's recommended for better account protection.

Saturday, January 7, 2017 4:55 AM
  • I set the account up as Exchange with m.hotmail.com as the server and also had to disable IPv6 on my wireless adapter to get this to work.
    Monday, January 9, 2017 10:05 PM
  • Worked great !!!

Thanks so much,

Claude 

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:07 PM
  • https://account.live.com/proofs/AppPassword?mkt=en-us
    Saturday, March 17, 2018 9:58 AM
  • here a you can easily Configure your hotmail account in Outlook easily flow this :- 

1. Click "Account settings" in the Tools Menu
    2. Choose New to Create new Email Account
    3. Opt for "Manualy configure server setting" and click "Next"
    4. Select "Internet E-Mail" and Click on "Next"
    5. Set IMAP as follows and click on "More settings"
    6. Configure Internet Email Settings as :
    8. Configure Outgoing Server as:-
    9. SSL/TLS settings
    10. Now One can test Account Settings with Authantication as :-
    11. Now you are done

After Completing this you all old mails are sycn with your Email Provider server to your Outlook its will take time, if you have large amount of data in your Hotamil mail then you need to wait for long as its complete to reduce this time you can use third party tool which easily create your all hotmail backup in few click or few minutes and you can easily migrate this to your outlook in few second for more details please visit  http://www.osttopstapp.com/hotmail-backup.html

Monday, May 7, 2018 4:53 AM
  • Solved for me (disabled 2 step sec verification). 
    Saturday, October 13, 2018 12:58 PM
  • Folks - Did not work for me. Ever since I changed my password and received the confirmation email I cannot sync, just get prompted for password. Any thoughts?
    Friday, December 14, 2018 6:30 PM
  • Connect Outlook to your hotmail account, sync it, then export.

Visit at ; 

https://sites.google.com/view/howicanperformabackupofhotmail/home
    Thursday, December 27, 2018 5:23 AM
  • If you want to perform this process on windows version so you can try this Hotmail Backup Tool to download your entire Hotmail backup to multiple Email client format like PST, EML, EMLX, MBOX, HTML, etc. 

Visit at more info: http://www.toolsbaer.com/hotmail-backup/

Friday, April 5, 2019 6:01 AM
  • Hotmail Backup for Mac Tool is the transfer data very safely from PST, EML, EMLX, MSG and MBOX. The Converter tool is very easy to use, you have to just follow 3-4 steps and its easily migrate, configure, install and filter your all files. The easily runs on Mac 10.10, 10.11, 10.12, 10.13. The application is light in weight so, it's easy to install and never make your computer slow.

For more info visit here:-  https://www.mailvita.com/hotmail-backup-for-mac/

Friday, February 7, 2020 5:39 AM