Sequencing new Application Version RRS feed

• Question

• So let me set the stage for my question.

Our clients currently use Version A of an application.  This version installs itself at the root of the C:\ drive with configuration files (.ini) in the C:\Windows directory.  These configuration files include general application configuration settings server IP ect.  We want to move to Version B of the same application.  This new version installs itself in the C:\Program Files directory and utilizes the same (ini) files.  We would like to us APPV for the new application.  I can sequence the app and it works fine.  However, I need to fine a way to pull the .ini files from their current location into the virtual app space.  Is this possible?  if so could someone point me in the right direction?

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 2:50 PM

Answers

• Thank you both for the post's,

Kirk the pre-launch script idea would fit the bill.  I have done some research but am going to ask another question.  The following code would copy an .ini file from the Virtual enviornment to the physical enviornment:

<DEPENDENCY>

<SCRIPT TIMING="PRE" EVENT="LAUNCH" WAIT="TRUE" PROTECT="TRUE">

<SCRIPTBODY>if not exist "H:\\WINDOWS\\random.ini" copy "Q:\\app.v1\\random.ini" "H:\\WINDOWS\\" </SCRIPTBODY>

</SCRIPT>

</DEPENDENCY>

However, I want to copy the .ini from the physical enviornment to the virtual enviornment.  Also, I would like to come up with a way to rename or mark the file as copied so the script does not keep running.

• Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:38 PM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hello,

If the file is not available within the package it will automatically look on the native client.

Meaning,

either make the .ini file part of the package (placed in %WINDIR%) or place a copy pre-sequencing in %WINDIR% and make sure that its not captured or delete it post-sequencing to have the software use the natively available file.

/Znack

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Also, you could use a PRE LAUNCH script to copy the "local" INI into the virtual environment before Version B launches

Falko
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:42 AM
  • Thank you both for the post's,

Kirk the pre-launch script idea would fit the bill.  I have done some research but am going to ask another question.  The following code would copy an .ini file from the Virtual enviornment to the physical enviornment:

<DEPENDENCY>

<SCRIPT TIMING="PRE" EVENT="LAUNCH" WAIT="TRUE" PROTECT="TRUE">

<SCRIPTBODY>if not exist "H:\\WINDOWS\\random.ini" copy "Q:\\app.v1\\random.ini" "H:\\WINDOWS\\" </SCRIPTBODY>

</SCRIPT>

</DEPENDENCY>

However, I want to copy the .ini from the physical enviornment to the virtual enviornment.  Also, I would like to come up with a way to rename or mark the file as copied so the script does not keep running.

• Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:38 PM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:04 PM