none
USMT - Roaming Profiles Windows 7 to Windows 10

Question

• Hello,

I'm looking for some advice in regards to my customers migration from Windows 7 to 10 (new computers, no in-place upgrades), the client uses roaming profiles, I understand that you cannot use USMT with this, the client would like to switch to local profiles once on Windows 10, what would be the best approach for this? I don't think you can use the same roaming profile between operating systems can you? 

From my understanding, the best approach would be:

1. On Windows 7 device - copy user(s) files (desktop, documents, music, pictures etc)
    2. Build Windows 10 device via MDT
    3. Remove roaming profile from Active Directory users and computers
    4. User logs onto Windows 10 with a new local profile
    5. Copy user files to Windows 10 device

Is this correct? Can USMT be used in anyway here?

Thanks,

Alex.

Monday, July 02, 2018 10:14 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I'm looking for some advice in regards to my customers migration from Windows 7 to 10 (new computers, no in-place upgrades), the client uses roaming profiles, I understand that you cannot use USMT with this, the client would like to switch to local profiles once on Windows 10, what would be the best approach for this? I don't think you can use the same roaming profile between operating systems can you? 

From my understanding, the best approach would be:

1. On Windows 7 device - copy user(s) files (desktop, documents, music, pictures etc)
    2. Build Windows 10 device via MDT
    3. Remove roaming profile from Active Directory users and computers
    4. User logs onto Windows 10 with a new local profile
    5. Copy user files to Windows 10 device

Is this correct? Can USMT be used in anyway here?

Thanks,

Alex.

Or would it be:

1. Remove roaming profile from AD user
    2. Ensure profile is converted to local
    3. Capture user data via USMT on Windows 7 device
    4. Build Win10 on new device and restore USMT data

Thanks

Monday, July 02, 2018 1:22 PM
  • you can use this code too 

ScanStateArgs=/all
    USMTMigFiles001=MigApp.xml
    USMTMigFiles002=MigUser.xml

MVP Jesús Octavio Rdz http://blogs.itpro.es/octaviordz

Tuesday, July 03, 2018 3:01 PM
  • Thanks Jesus,

What options would you recommend from above? I was responding to my own comment :)

Friday, July 06, 2018 12:08 PM
  • Hi Alex

You should definitely use USMT. Just restore the users profile BEFORE the user logs in the first time.
    (or, if he did, delete the profile from the target PC through "Advanced system settings)

USMT backs up the user profile (v2) from the Win7 PC and creates the profile locally on the Win10 PC.

If that PC does not run with roaming Profiles they will just stay local.
    But in case the customer wants Roaming then, when the user logs in, the profile handler discovers it is a roaming profile and moves data to the profile share and to the correct profile version (v6).

This is where the beauty comes in: As data is already on a Windows 10 PC it will be placed in the correct profile version.

You can test all this prior to migration as I did, really easy, by using USMTGUI from EhlerTech!

Greetings from Milan
    Janine

Saturday, August 11, 2018 7:55 AM