none
DHCP server can't ping gateway but all other devices can RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

Yesterday I switched my network from using a 10.1.10.x address to a 192.168.0.x address and ran into a problem with my virtual DHCP server (which also handles AD and DNS). For some reason, that server can no longer ping the gateway. It has proper DNS entries for the gateway and even tries to resolve to the correct IP if you ping the hostname. However, it always replies with "destination host unreachable," whether you use the hostname or the IP. Subsequently, it is not able to access the internet. It is able to ping all other devices on the network EXCEPT the gateway.

Furthermore, all of the other virtual machines on the same host can access the internet and ping the gateway just fine. They are all using the same network settings as the server having issues. The virtual machine host is physically connected directly to the gateway it's trying to access - there are no switches or anything between it and my router. I checked all of the Ethernet adapter settings and it's pointing to the correct gateway and has the correct subnet/DNS server/ect. The only difference in the network settings between the DHCP/DNS server and the rest of the VMs under the same host is the actual IP address of that specific server. This eliminates equipment problems and broken cables. Any idea what could cause this?

I've only been using Windows Server for a couple of months (college student) so it's entirely possible that I missed something obvious. Let me know if there are any solutions.

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:53 PM

Answers

• Well, the only thing left todo is check the GW address for the n time, and confirm that its set properly.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:52 PM
  • Hi Chad,

Could you please post your DHCP server’s network settings, for helping us to analyze the issue.

It seems like your DHCP’s IP address and the Gateway’s IP address are in the different subnet.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 5:26 AM

All replies

• Are you saying that the DHCP vm is not on the same physical network connection (cable) as the rest of the VMs?  Confirm that the physical port its (DHCP VM) connected to has routes for the new IP range.

Any reason why the DHCP server is not connected to the same virtual switch as the other VMs on the same host ?

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:03 PM
  • Hi Azarya,

I apologize if my wording wasn't perfect. What I meant is that the server is on the same physical connection as the rest of the servers. They are all on the same virtual switch and they all share the same network settings outside of the IP address of the individual server.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:44 PM
  • Well, the only thing left todo is check the GW address for the n time, and confirm that its set properly.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:52 PM
  • Hi Chad,

Could you please post your DHCP server’s network settings, for helping us to analyze the issue.

It seems like your DHCP’s IP address and the Gateway’s IP address are in the different subnet.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 5:26 AM