Remove Account Picture and Frame from logon screen RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to completely remove the image and the frame from the logon screen.
    I understand that the box can be blank and possibly transparent. But I would like to fully remove the box from the screen.

Thanks

email
    • Edited by Ronnie VernonMVP Sunday, January 10, 2010 7:42 PM Private email removed-forum policy
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:45 AM

All replies

• Hi

I don't know of any way to acomplish this.

It probably would not be a good idea, if something happened to the user account, you would not have any way to log on, even with the built-in account?

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 7:46 PM
  • LightningHawk schreef op 10-1-2010 7:45:
    > Is it possible to completely remove the image and the frame from the
    > logon screen.

It is possible, but that account will be unaccesible afterwards :-(
    Goto
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\Userlist
    and create: <accountName> Dword 0

Probably you'll have to create too the keys SpecialAccounts and Userlist.

--
    Karel Vos [MVP - Windows Desktop Experience]
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Hi

I don't know of any way to acomplish this.

It probably would not be a good idea, if something happened to the user account, you would not have any way to log on, even with the built-in account?

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

This is really a shame.  I too would like to be able to remove this image (and the ridiculous frame).  I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy who doesn't mind reading, and I find so many parts of this GUI seem to be made for the illiterate ... these user account pictures for one, and the missing labels on pinned or running aero taskbar entries for another.  I guess M$FT is fully endorsing the dumbing down of the future generations, though, as they decided not to permit opting out of the use of these hieroglyphics in favor of (or even in addition to) the written language.

A reflection on where society is going, I guess.  Seems this OS was mainly built for (requested by?) gamers and pre-teens, rather than people who use computers to do work.

Oh, I forgot, there are a LOT of us who are unemployed, these days.  So "work" be damned.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 9:21 PM
  • p__v__s ,

I couldn't agree with you more on the dumbing down of our society and couldn't disagree more with your interpretation of this aspect of the UI.  Because others prefer and process pictures faster than characters doesn't make them dumb - or you smart.

As a computer programmer who has worked in character-based systems for 20+ years, I realize and can relate to the folly of ignoring the aesthetics.  While I agree that it would be nice to have the features you want, you have learned to process visually differently than most.  This -- in a Capitalist or Free Market system --  dictates that enough of a market would need to be created to make it profitable for the Corporation to address your minority needs. 

Welcome to being different in the US of A.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Here is my solution: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/d6b06e52-8d61-4066-8a21-2415c5dbfdee
    • Proposed as answer by RandNerd Saturday, May 15, 2010 1:27 PM
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 1:27 PM
  • I absolutely agree. It seems like with each subsequent windows version, some things are one step forward and two steps back. Unfortunately, there is no logic for the ability to customize. One part of an object can be and the other not. No sense. Who makes these decisions?

For so many great tech products out there, so many manufacturers deem it next to impossible for you to use a product in a way that is convenient to you. But, that is why you bought in the first place - to be usable to the extent that is best for you and the way you like it; notwithstanding reasonable restraints that could do others harm.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:56 PM
  • I'm pretty sure that Microsoft doesn't condone trying this however you can modify the authui.dll in order to removed the picture & frame from the logon screen.  The instructions on how to do this are on sevenforums.

It has been a while since I have done this however if I remember correctly I used Resource Hacker to modify the dll.

I hope this helps any one else who wants to do this since initially it took me a while to determine what I needed to do.

PS: You may need to take ownership of the dll in order to move/modify/rename it.  To do this there is a good tutorial at intowindows.com.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:31 AM