What means "Isolation Mode" in the properties of a new Measure RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

When I create a new measure in ProClarity, I can do a right click on it and access the MDX editing window of the measure. At the top of the window, I have several possible options, including the member's name, the format String, and the famous "Isolation Mode" equal to "None" by default.
    What does it mean ?

NB: It has already solved display problems in the cube without understanding why. (Property "Cube" instead of "None").

Thank you for your answers.
    Amélie

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 9:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Amélie,

The 'Isolation Mode' property in the MDX editor controls the Scope Isolation property of the MDX CREATE method.  The Scope Isolation property controls when a calculated measure is resolved and is new in SSAS'05 SP2.  Sometimes SCOPE_ISOLATION=CUBE is required to get the correct result with totaling with calculated measures as it enables those calculations to be resolved before calculations in the cube and not after.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:28 PM
  • Hello Amelie,

Thanks for your inquiry.  Sean is exactly right.  The SCOPE_ISOLATION calculation property is a new SSAS 2005 feature, and it essentially allows you to specify when exactly you want that calculated member to resolve.

Here's a useful link that further explains that property: 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144787.aspx

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Amélie,

The 'Isolation Mode' property in the MDX editor controls the Scope Isolation property of the MDX CREATE method.  The Scope Isolation property controls when a calculated measure is resolved and is new in SSAS'05 SP2.  Sometimes SCOPE_ISOLATION=CUBE is required to get the correct result with totaling with calculated measures as it enables those calculations to be resolved before calculations in the cube and not after.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:28 PM
  • Hello Amelie,

Thanks for your inquiry.  Sean is exactly right.  The SCOPE_ISOLATION calculation property is a new SSAS 2005 feature, and it essentially allows you to specify when exactly you want that calculated member to resolve.

Here's a useful link that further explains that property: 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144787.aspx

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:41 PM
  • Thank you Sean and Amanda.

Your answers help me understand better.

Monday, August 11, 2008 7:47 AM