Closing Programs Does Not Reduce Memory RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows 7 and I have noticed that upon opening up a few programs, such as IE, and then closing the windows does not reduce the memory to it's original size and there seems to be quite a gap.  Is there a way to reduce the memory to the size it was prior to opening these windows or even have it close to the original size?  I have looked at threads 'Many instances of program remain in memory after program closed' and 'Memory still reserved after closing programs - gadget bug?', but they do not answer my specific question.

• Edited by Cem Sultan Tuesday, February 24, 2015 9:02 PM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015 8:59 PM

Answers

• Hello Cem Sultan,

Do you mean that after your closing the Internet Explorer, the memory is not release?

Based on my test in Windows 7, the memory is released normally. Please take a look at the following screenshot.

Please check if Internet Explorer still in the process in the Task manager after closing it.
    Additionally, please go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories and run the performance troubleshooter.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by FangZhou Chen Monday, March 9, 2015 9:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, March 11, 2015 8:57 AM
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:11 AM

All replies

• If you are closing programs and their processes end in task manager but do not free up memory, it's possible you have a memory leak. You might want to read this.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015 9:52 PM
  • Yeah, I assumed it might be memory leak, but the programs that I am starting and closing are Microsoft products, such as, MS Internet Explorer, etc., and thought there may be a workaround without having to restart Windows every so often. 

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 2:46 PM
  • Are you positive that it is more than one program that isn't releasing memory? Have you been able to nail down which ones they are for sure? If so, you can Google memory leak issues for those programs. Some Microsoft programs have fixes other than "restart"
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 3:50 PM
  • Hello Cem Sultan,

Do you mean that after your closing the Internet Explorer, the memory is not release?

Based on my test in Windows 7, the memory is released normally. Please take a look at the following screenshot.

Please check if Internet Explorer still in the process in the Task manager after closing it.
    Additionally, please go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories and run the performance troubleshooter.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by FangZhou Chen Monday, March 9, 2015 9:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, March 11, 2015 8:57 AM
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:11 AM