software distribution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to SCCM

Can anyone explain me that how can I uninstall client side  .exe softwares by using sccm in software distribution.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:28 AM

Answers

• ConfigMgr 2007 has no built-in awareness of "how" to install or uninstall applications as each applicationis ultimately self-contained and potentially unique in how it does this. ConfigMgr 2007's software distribution capability rests entirely on its ability to run a command-line. Thus, to uninstall any application, you simply need to create a program to run the proper uninstall command-line for that application -- this is no different from installing the application.

Generally, you create an additional program under in the application's package for the uninstall so that the program has access to the original source files if needed but that really, once again, depends on how the program was designed to install.

If you don't have a previous package for the application, you can easily create another one -- the source files may not even be necessary as most uninstallers do not necessarily require them.

Generally, to find the proper uninstall string you can either consult the vendor's documentation or reference the registry on the system that has the app installed as anything that registers itself in Add/Remove programs also has an entry under HKLM\Software\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and each entry *should* have an UninstallString value that you can use.

Of course, test, test, test as there are always caveats and idiosynchocies to each uninstaller beyond the control or influence of ConfigMgr.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, April 30, 2012 8:13 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:52 PM