HP m7680n Upgrade to Vista Ultimate - TV Tuner not found when setting up TV in Media Center RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased an HP m7680n system that ran Media Center 2005 without any errors.  The PC was labeled and sold as Vista Capable.  I ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and was told that my machine could run Vista.  

I upgraded to Vista Ultimate and receive an error message when I try to setup the TV in Media Center.  The message indicates Tuner not found.  When I exit Media Center there is a window that indicates Media Center encountered and error and when I close this window anther window appears that indicates I can receive more information by clicking on it.  Then a help window appears that indicates DEP may be the issue with instruction on how to remove an applicaiton from DEP, but when I attempt to exclude Media Center DEP I receive a message that indicates you can not turn DEP off for Media Center (I do not have the exact message as I am currently at work).

I have tried every driver on Hauppauge web site but still receive this message.  I can use the WinTV2000 application from Hauppauge to watch TV but still receive the error message in Media Center.

My HP m7680n came with Nvidia GeForce 7300LE and Hauppauge WinTV PCI II (26xxx).  I was under the impression if the computer was advertised as being Windows Vista Capable / Window Premium Ready and the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor indicated that the hardware met the Premium requirements that the system could be upgraded.

Monday, February 5, 2007 5:06 PM

All replies

• I have a similar system with the same tuner card.  Vista says the drivers are up to date and WinTV processes the TV signal but Media Center doesn't recognize that a card exists.  Bizarre and frustrating.  I spent an hour with microsoft online support and was given no suggestions other than to re-load all of the drivers even thought Vista has already loaded the latest and greatest drivers.

A "technician" is going to call me tonight but I don't have too much faith that anything productive will come out of that.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 3:02 PM
  • Please let me know if the "technician" provides any assistance.

I have also contacted "Microsoft Support" via email but I am not holding out much hope.  When I tried to provide the "technician" with additional informaiton the email was returned as "undeliverable".

Thank you.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 2:54 AM
  • I actually got it to work prior to the technician calling.  I once again used the Hauppage "CD" download (about 12 mB) and followed their directions on the webpage.  Clear drivers, then reload.  After that, when I went to set up Media Center, I remembered that I originally clicked that I did not want internet connectivity to enhance my media center.  This time around, I clicked that I did.  I don't know whether that was the culprit or whether the drivers took better this time around.  I was able to finish at 8:55pm, in time to record American Idol and Lost for my daughters.

The next problem that I discovered after trying to play the recordings this morning was that the realtek audio card had not been recognized and that media center won't play back anything without an audio card.  Fortunately, realtek has a vista driver on its website that solved that problem.  The more that you jump through these hoops, the more that you chuckle / cry at those PC vs. Apple commercials.

I should note that the first tech call for the TV Tuner problem was after I had installed Vista via the upgrade path.  After spending that hour with the technician,  I re-installed Vista via the clean install path so maybe that also contributed to the success this time.  The bottom line is that the TV Tuner is compatible with Vista Media Center and can be configured to work.

Now, if I can only get an vista driver for my HP laserjet 1020, I'd actually be virtually done with the transition.  Hp says that one may take 'til July.

Good luck!

Thursday, February 8, 2007 2:37 PM
  • I don't know why it worked. but my tuner was not found  on hp m7248n media center that i upgraded to vista ultimate. I then did a clean install and all the drivers were there including the tv tuner. I now can record and watch the same cable stations that i did on the original xp mc.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:44 AM
  • Did you try going to HP's webiste?

www.hp.com

--> Software & Driver Downloads --> Download drivers and software (and firmware) -->

enter m7680 and click [>>] --> Microsoft Windows Vista

All drivers for this system

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3230688&lang=en

TV-Tuner Driver

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-47069-2&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3230688&os=2093&lang=en

After you install the driver, try rebooting before relaunching MCE. See if your Tuner is recognized then.

Friday, July 6, 2007 2:09 AM