How to upgrade an existing document management system to SP? RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to sharepoint and had been assigned the task of upgrading an existing document management system (desktop based) to sharepoint. 
    The problem I have currently is I am trying to build the sharepoint site as user friendly as possible, hence what I would like to do is when I checkout a document from the document library I want to download it to a local drive and then open it up with its associated application automatically. I successfully did this with OnCheckout 'Even receiver' but since its server-side it can onlly download the document on to a server directory. I wish to have this only the client local folder. Is this possible?, if yes how do i achieve this.
    Please do help
    Thanks
    Sandeep

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 8, 2011 4:39 PM Original title of SharePoint was worse than useless. Replaced
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 8, 2011 4:40 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, July 8, 2011 1:31 PM

Answers

• Hi sandymp,

This is the default behavior of SharePoint. Whenever you "check out" a document you get a pop up window to confirm that they want to open and check out the document. The pop-up window has the option to “Use my local drafts folder.

These settings are governed by your client side office settings.

To change the drafts folder default options, open Microsoft Word 2007 or 2010 and go to the Word Options (Office Button > Word Options). Under the “Save” section select the appropriate option.

Also, you might want to check the browser settings that the following add-on is not disabled

IE > tools > manage add-ons > sharepoint opendocuments class add-on

My SharePoint Blog
    http://dhireny.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Monday, July 18, 2011 5:59 AM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 4:03 PM