none
Tape media mismatch with tape label causes DPM 2010 to error with unresponsive tape drive RRS feed

• Question

• 2008 R2 SP1 - fully patched

DPM 2010 3.7707

I have a large number of LTO4 media that was used for a time period, and is readable on a HP MSL 4048 library with LTO4 drives.  I am not able to work with this same media on a similar HP MSL 4048 w/ LTO5 drives.  The problem that I found, is that the barcode labels say L2 on them.

When I Identify the unknown tape on the Library with LTO5 drives (these tapes were written from a different DPM 2010 server) I am unable to.  With the following alerts

"The detailed inventory of tape failed for the following reason: (ID 3316)"

"

Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library  (x64 based) could not be contacted. All jobs for Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library  (x64 based) will fail if the connection is not established.
     (ID 3301)"

So --- I removed the label, and I'm able to Identify the tape, catalog, and copy tape data.

Beyond replacing all of my tape labels, which would really screw up all records and catalogs, is there a work around to this issue?  Why is DPM 2010 looking at the barcode label, and determining it cannot use this media?  Or, is something else going on.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:56 PM

Answers

• closing for housekeeping.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:57 AM