none
Client backup time excessive RRS feed

• Question

• I recently tried to create a protection set for a (domain) workstation.  It is a Windows 7 Ultimate system with two disks to be backed up.  One about 500 GB and the other 1 TB; both about half full.

Since DPM 2010 can't do bare metal client backups, I wanted to at least back up the information on the disks.  Unfortunately, the backup has been running for the pas week (continuously) and the protection status still says "Replica inconsistent, verification in progress" and the client has the type of "Disconnected Client".

I'm trying to understand what is going on.  It is a 1 Gb LAN, and the disk activity on the client has been approaching 100% for the entire time.

Any suggestions?

- Mark

Monday, March 5, 2012 12:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Client backup was never meant to be a BMR solution and it's primarily for protecting a few GB of user data.  Client protection does not use a filter driver to track file changes at the blovk level, so this means we need to scan the entire volume (or protected folder) looking for changes each time a synch is initiated.  You can open resource monitor and select the dpmra.exe process and look at disk activty to see what files is't processing.   If you just have a few workstations with that much data to protect, you are better off protecting it as a server so true block level protection can be used to make backups quicker.  Of course that requires a different license, but it sounds like the Windows 7 client is being used more like a server if it has that kind of data on it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 5, 2012 1:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Client backup was never meant to be a BMR solution and it's primarily for protecting a few GB of user data.  Client protection does not use a filter driver to track file changes at the blovk level, so this means we need to scan the entire volume (or protected folder) looking for changes each time a synch is initiated.  You can open resource monitor and select the dpmra.exe process and look at disk activty to see what files is't processing.   If you just have a few workstations with that much data to protect, you are better off protecting it as a server so true block level protection can be used to make backups quicker.  Of course that requires a different license, but it sounds like the Windows 7 client is being used more like a server if it has that kind of data on it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 5, 2012 1:01 AM
  • > Client backup was never meant to be a BMR solution

Well, for a backup solution that seems like a big hole in the feature set.

I have tried to backup the client as a "server" but have run into problems there.  I'll be starting a new topic shortly with the information.

- Mark

Monday, March 5, 2012 11:16 PM