DPM Protection Group Design for File Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Situation: Single Server with Data Protection Manager 2012 4.0.1920.0 - We have multiple file servers we are trying to protect, but several of these servers have both a combination of files that change regularly, and data that rarely changes at all - both types which are in separate folder trees on the same volumes of the same servers. Currently, we only have the capability of doing D2T.

Question: What is the best way to setup our protection groups so that:

1 - Files/Folders that are rarely changed are only backed up monthly/yearly

2 - Files/Folders that are changed daily are backed up both weekly (full/incremental), monthly and yearly.

When I try to configure these all in a single protection group (long and short term) I am not allowed to distinguish between the two objectives and it only allows me to set the same schedule for all selected data. If I attempt to create two different protection groups, I cannot add the data in the second protection group because it says that that volume is already being protected  using a different protection group (group 1) . I am lost as to a resolution to this situation.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Friday, October 26, 2012 5:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

data located on the same volume has to be inserted in the same protection group. As you said you cannot add data from the same volume into different protection group.

The only way to achieve different backup goal is to move data to different volumes.

• Marked as answer by MattMofDoom Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:08 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 11:19 PM