Word's master document feature in SP? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a sharepoint library that contains an employee policy manual (a document for each policy).  I have been asked for a way to print them all out at once.  Aside from the view in Explorer, selecting and printing all, I thought I'd try the master document feature that Word has.  I tried an experiment with it on a dev server with just two subdocuments.  I could edit either the subdocuments or the master and everything updated fine.

However, when I try this on my production server, I encounter saving issues, and file locking issues, making it impossible to create the master document.

While searching for a solution, I read in the MS knowledge base that this feature is not compatible with SP server.  However, since I got it to work on one server I question that.

Has anyone tried creating a master document on SP with any luck?

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 8:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Whilst this might work for you in dev environment and as you say it is not supported by Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832771). To answer your question about printing all docs, I would select Explorer view option to select and print all - its the most practical option available (at least for now).

hth,

Chirag Patel, MCTS
    @techChirag
    techChirag.com
    • Marked as answer by David HM Monday, May 2, 2011 1:50 AM
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 10:40 AM