none
LoadGen Removal RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to find out the BEST way to remove Exchange LoadGen and all of it's output (AD, Exchange MBX, backups, atrifacts, Etc...) after testing is complete. Our plan is to make the environmant production ready, execute LoadGen tests, cleanup, and complete releasing into production.

I have been going through blogs, whitepapers, and the LoadGen Helpfile, which only seems to identify the run parameters, but I have not seen a best practices on this.

One option is to wipe and rebuild all of the effected servers from the ground up but that has just doubled our release time.

I did see an item about setting a usercount to 0 but I believe that was for Jetstress, and I don't believe that would effect DR or backups.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:07 PM

All replies

• Hi

I think the easiest way is to delete the users and then delete the databases.  You don't have to rebuild the servers.  I'm not sure what you mean by backups and artifacts though.

Cheers, Steve

Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:45 PM
  • Well, You installed it in a test forest right? Not production? LoadGen documentation is very clear on that.
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:01 PM
  • Actually all of the documentation I have seen has said to not install in a production forest. This is a forest which will be used to migrate/upgrade from production when we can certify the throughput numbers to the requirements. We will therefore need to have everything removed that was created as the result of running LoadGen.

A_D_ and Steve,

Since I am not an Exchange expert the artifacts I can think of are:

initial email messages
    any DR copies that exchange creates
    public folders
    AD Organizational Units
    Data Access Groups (or are these created prior)
    any Archiving that Exchange does (or is that an external 3rd party process)

^John

Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Actually all of the documentation I have seen has said to not install in a production forest. This is a forest which will be used to migrate/upgrade from production when we can certify the throughput numbers to the requirements. We will therefore need to have everything removed that was created as the result of running LoadGen.

A_D_ and Steve,

Since I am not an Exchange expert the artifacts I can think of are:

initial email messages
    any DR copies that exchange creates
    public folders
    AD Organizational Units
    Data Access Groups (or are these created prior)
    any Archiving that Exchange does (or is that an external 3rd party process)

^John

Exactly, only run in a test environment. Now having said that, removing the LoadGen program, Exchange stores and AD accounts/OUs containers - whatever was created during the test should be sufficient. Archiving is not part of the LoadGen process.

• Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, March 5, 2012 6:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Herkimer Monday, March 5, 2012 10:44 AM
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 4:57 PM
  • Hi Herkimer,

Although the doc refer that it is used do some tests in the test environments, but it is not mean that the server which is installed with the tool could not be used in the product scenario.
    Above gave some good suggestion. Please make some tests.

Regards!

Gavin

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, March 5, 2012 6:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Herkimer Monday, March 5, 2012 10:44 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 9:56 AM
  • While these may be answers they did not identify what needs to be removed from a server farm to remove all traces of Exchange LoadGen.

Unfortunately I will not be in an environment where I can do tests on what to remove. It needs to be production ready after testing clean-up is complete.

Can someone post a list of everything that is output from LoadGen and the best way to remove it?

Will different settings create additional output?

I am not an Exchange or an AD expert so I do not know, that is why I came here.

Monday, March 5, 2012 11:01 AM
  • Hi Herkimer,

It is better to learn it and then you could understand it well. :)
    Such as below, the article describle how to use the tool.
    http://www.msexchange.org/articles/Microsoft-Exchange-Load-Generator.html 
    Then, you could know, the tool could run on any computer in your domain, just create some users in AD and mailbox on exchange, so you just delete them.
    A related discussion:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ar/exchangesvrgeneral/thread/12cf0063-5060-43ac-8a94-c5a492cc13b9 
    If you have any other question, please feel free let us know.

Regards!

Gavin

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:53 AM
  • I will most certainly be learning it while I am running it, and yes, that is how I learn best., I still prefer the saying "Measure Twice, Cut Once".

Neither of those articles identifies what LoadGen creates on each computer involved and therefore what needs to be removed to make the environment production ready without orphan files.

I do nto have another question, I still have the same one.

If the answer is noone knows for sure then I will take best guess.

Please understand this is not a lab situation, it is a real customer and there will be real consequences if remnants are left behind. There are no second chances.

Thank You in advance

^Herkimer

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Hi Herkimer,

As I referred above, if the software installed on a member client in the domain, you do not need to remove any software on the servers, but, because the tool create some users on AD, and mailboxes on exchange, you could delete them.
    About how to delete them , you could search them in the technet library.
    If you are afraid of the something wrong with the systems, you could make a test in a lab, such as own VM test lab, do some tests, then you could confirm how to do.
    It is also a good habit to launch a new system as a IT admin.

Regards!

Gavin

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 1:56 AM