none
Changing a zone from AD integrated to forwarder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

We have multiple MS DNS servers and  a zone for e.g. A in our setup which is an AD integrated zone.I want to move A to a non Microsoft DNS server which means this new platform will be primary for my zone A.

How do I go about doing this migration without causing disruptions in production?

From what I explored, it seems we can configure a conditional forwarder on the MS DNS Server to forward queries for zone A to the new platform, my question is: 

1) If I  create a conditional forwarder for zone A on one of the MS DNS servers to forward to the new platform , will I have to do the same on all my MS DNS servers? Or will that take effect automatically since zone A was AD integrated?

2) If I  create a conditional forwarder for zone A on one of the MS DNS servers to forward to the new platform and make no change with regards to it on the other MS DNS servers, what will be the state of zone A on them?

Regards,

Kirti 

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 2:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Will you delete the zone A on MS DNS servers after migrating to non Microsoft DNS?

If the zone A still in MS DNS servers, the conditional forwarder will not work.

You need to configure the conditional forwarder on all MS DNS servers.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 5:58 AM
  • Hi Travis, 

If we delete zone A, since it's AD integrated, I believe it will be deleted from all the MS DNS servers.

so looks like will have to configure the conditional forwarder on all MS DNS servers individually.My concern is how to go about doing this for 100+ MS DNS servers, considering it has to be done at the same time for all of them ?

Regards,

Kirti

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

I would suggest you use powershell to configure DNS forwarder.

For example: Add-DnsServerConditionalForwarderZone -Name "contoso.com" -ReplicationScope "Forest" -MasterServers 2001:4898:7020:f100:458f:e6a2:fcaf:698c,172.23.90.124  

Please refer to the link below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/dnsserver/add-dnsserverconditionalforwarderzone?view=win10-ps 

Meanwhile, you can use GPO to deploy the configuration.

Best regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Travis

Monday, April 8, 2019 8:47 AM