none
Updating Windows 10 in Audit Mode

Question

• We have a Windows 10 WIM configured with the required software. When I pull down the pre-Syspreped image (which was captured while in Audit Mode), I am unable to use Windows Update to patch the image.

How are you folks handling the updates to your gold Windows 10 images?

Thanks.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 10:04 PM

All replies

• Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:50 PM
  • Hi, 

The problem is that you cannot actually use Windows Update in Audit mode since WU is now locked out when the OS has not completed OOBE. 

Since WU is not usable in Audit Mode, there is another way to get updates from the internet to update your Windows image for deployment.  Please do it in Audit Mode. For starters you need to download the following Powershell Module:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/2d191bcd-3308-4edd-9de2-88dff796b0bc

After you have downloaded the module, do the following:

1.)  Copy the whole module folder (after unzipping) to %WINDIR%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules
    2.) Start up PowerShell ISE as admin from admin tools
    3.) Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned
    4.) Import-Module PSWindowsUpdate
    5.) Get-WUInstall
    6.) The rest should be automated with some prompts

**NOTE: Sometimes setting the execution policy to RemoteSigned doesn’t work, so in those cases temporarily set it to unrestricted, and then set it back after you have used the script to install all windows updates.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 3, 2017 6:38 AM
  • Great! Just what I needed! Thanks
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 1:37 PM
  • It downloads, but it fails every time.  I even set it to unrestricted and I got the same. Trying to update to 1803. 
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:53 PM
  • It downloads, but it fails every time.  I even set it to unrestricted and I got the same. Trying to update to 1803. 

Same issue here - it worked for 17xx but fails for 1803. Cleaning out the downloads etc. didn't help at all. Just shows that it accepts a 90GB update to 1803, then fails. Ended up having to run OOBE, step through all of that mess, let it update, then re-sysprep it.

I swear that between this and the inability to deprovision *anything* without breaking sysprep, Microsoft is trying to force enterprises to use Macs or Linux. Why does an "enterprise OS" come with gaming mode and XBox software in the first place, and why can't I uninstall it?

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:21 PM
  • Unfortunately feature updates are completely disabled in Audit mode no matter the process you try. I know because I was stuck in the same spot trying to update my companies image when 1803 came out. I will now need to redo my company image from scratch every time a feature update comes out. Thanks Microsoft.
    Friday, September 7, 2018 2:21 PM
  • How about sysprepping again so you don't have to completely start over
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 2:33 AM
  • It doesn't work for me either.

What should we do to get past this?

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:28 PM
  • It is not publicly stated, but it is clear that one particular supported process has no issue with the way Windows 10 is updated. And that would be MDT. If your entire deployment process was built in MDT, it would be easy to change to a new version (without having to update existing images) by changing the base ISO/WIM that MDT uses.

Because this process works under that particular concept, it is likely everything is designed with that in mind and not for those using older, other or manual methods of creating/servicing images.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:54 PM