none
Can More Than One Person Be the Owner of a Project Plan in PWA 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 users who need to access and be able to make updates to a Project Plan in PWA.  Can I designate more than one person as the Owner of the project?  I cannot determine how else to give them both update access to the plan in PWA.  They are both part of a security group named Project Managers.  Thank you
    Friday, March 7, 2014 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Dennykat,

You cannot have more than 1 project owner which is a unique role for each project.

But you can appoint 1 PM as the project owner (actually the one that is accountable for it) and add the second one to the project build team. Thus they'll both have read-write access to the project.

However be careful that a shared project ownership can be tricky, since one can update the project plan with a different vision/methodology/information than the other one.

Moreover, think that only 1 user (status owner) can be responsible for tasks updates approvals.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Friday, March 7, 2014 2:43 PM
  • Guillaume,

I thought the answer you had provided worked for the situation I faced at that time.  However, I am trying to user this approach for 2 different people on a different project plan and it is not working.  The one who is not the project Owner cannot update the project.  They have only read access.  This person was added to the project team and was assigned to a task in the project.  This person also has the Project Manager role that my company uses to give people update access to plans.

Any suggestions?

Thank you  

Friday, June 6, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Hi Dennykat,

There must be an issue with your security settings. You cannot set a user as the project owner if he has not the permission to edit/save a project. Do you use the default groups? Belonging to the default project manager group, the user must be able to edit the project.

When you say he cannot, what exactly happens? Can he see the project? In read only mode? In PWA or MS Project Pro?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Friday, June 6, 2014 11:58 PM
  • Yes.  Both of the people are in the Project Manager group.  Only the one who is the Owner can update the project plan.  The person who is not the Owner gets a Read Only version of the plan in both PWA and Project Pro.

I did this recently for two other people, where one is the Owner but they are both in the Project Manager group and it works fine for them.  They can both update the project plan.

Monday, June 9, 2014 7:25 PM
  • Thus the issue is on one unique resource.

I'd suggest to dig into the specific permissions of this user to see if he hasn't be denied some unique permissions, which should not occur since permissions should be only managed at group level.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, June 9, 2014 7:30 PM