none
MDT2012 No poweshel feature option on Deployment share WIN PE properties RRS feed

• Question

• Having built both my lab and production MDT 2012 Update 1 deployment shares I have come to the part of using a PowerShell script in the tasksequence. the script did not work. A little poking around its clear that under Deployment share winpe features the powershell option is not there. What option have I missed when installing MDT 2012 update 1 on a 2008sp1 server. I did upgrade the server powershell to ver 3.

Thank You

Growing old with SCCM

Saturday, October 12, 2013 2:53 PM

Answers

• Yes, once you install ADK, you will see a few more options in the properties box. Just remember though, you can't have WAIK and ADK installed at the same time.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, October 12, 2013 4:05 PM
  • Yes, WAIK is easy to uninstall, but I would not flip flop back and forth between WAIK and ADK in a production environment. What you could do is install MDT 2012 U1 and ADK 8 on another machine, create a deployment share for testing, and copy over your production share to replicate it on the test one. You'll need to copy over Applications, Control (except for the bootstrap.ini file... this is very important), Operating Systems, Out-of-Box Drivers, and Scripts (really you just need to copy over any custom scripts). Just make sure you manage the test deployment share from the machine with ADK installed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, October 12, 2013 5:27 PM

All replies

• MDT has nothing to do with PowerShell support in WinPE, that depends on the version of WinPE which is found in WAIK, Windows ADK 8, etc. The PowerShell support came out with Windows ADK 8.

Saturday, October 12, 2013 3:05 PM
  • OK. Thanks for the prompt reply. Frank

I did install WAIK (specifically not AIK as in testing the AIK default boot media did not run up on some of the legacy hardware but WAIK did)
    Does this mean I must install AIK to get the PowerShell feature checkbox in the deployment workbench properties box ?

Thank you

Growing old with SCCM

Saturday, October 12, 2013 3:31 PM
  • Yes, once you install ADK, you will see a few more options in the properties box. Just remember though, you can't have WAIK and ADK installed at the same time.

Saturday, October 12, 2013 4:05 PM
  • oh er ! :(

this will change / upgrade my wimPE and "invalidate" all my testing to date.

Is the WAIK and easy uninstall ? Please don't tell me I'm going to have to re do my deployment share.

Growing old with SCCM

Saturday, October 12, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Yes, WAIK is easy to uninstall, but I would not flip flop back and forth between WAIK and ADK in a production environment. What you could do is install MDT 2012 U1 and ADK 8 on another machine, create a deployment share for testing, and copy over your production share to replicate it on the test one. You'll need to copy over Applications, Control (except for the bootstrap.ini file... this is very important), Operating Systems, Out-of-Box Drivers, and Scripts (really you just need to copy over any custom scripts). Just make sure you manage the test deployment share from the machine with ADK installed.

Saturday, October 12, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Thanks.

Ive come to the office to poke about in the lab.

I need ps so I am going to go for an uninstall waik and an install of aik

Thanks for the tips on the alternative measure. food for thought if it prevents me having to recreate the deployment share.

Thankfully Monday is a holiday here so I have an extra day to get something sorted.

Growing old with SCCM

Saturday, October 12, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Your deployment share should be fine, however I would recreate the boot disks once ADK is installed. Good Luck!

Saturday, October 12, 2013 6:00 PM
  • Well good and bad news. The WAIK uninstalled on my sandpit lab fine - but not on my prod box.

Now I cant get WAIK to uninstall at all nor repair. So I cant get AIK on.
    Doom and gloom.

Growing old with SCCM

Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:18 PM