Disk protection RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I'm trying to activate the disk protection with steady state, but I can't get through.
    Each time I'm trying to activate it, it is asking me for a reboot of the comptuer and once this is done, there is no Protection activated.

And when I want to uninstall steady state, It's telling me that the protection is on and that I have to turn it off in order to uninstall it. But when I go into the disk protection everything is turned off. Sad

Is anybody have a hint to help me?

Saturday, December 20, 2008 7:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Could you check a couple of things to help us track this down? 

1. Verify that the driver is installed
      1. Enable Windows Disk Protection and reboot
      2. Log in and open a command prompt. 
      3. What are the results of this command?
        C:\> driverquery | findstr /i vcf
    2. Look for events in the System event log related to VCF, Windows Disk Protection, or SteadyState
      1. Start > Run > eventvwr
      2. On the left side, select the System log
      3. Search for any entries from those sources since you enabled WDP

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Friday, December 26, 2008 6:54 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Alouka, as Windows Disk Protection (WDP) is very sensitive to the hard drive problem. I recommend running the chkdsk command without parameter. It will provide a report of the current status of the hard drive.

-------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in cmd and press Enter.

3. Type in chkdsk and press Enter.

Please check if there is error or bad block on the hard drive.

When problem occurs, please also check if there is a cache file (Cache.WDP) under drive C: As the cache file was hidden by default, we need to show the hidden files with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders."

3. Clear the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

4. Clear the "Hide extensions for known file type" check box. Click OK.

If Cache.WDP exists, we can manually delete it with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

4. Delete the Cache.WDP file under drive C. Restart the computer.

5. Start SteadyState, “Cache File Is Corrupted” windows will appear.

6. Select “Uninstall Windows Disk Protection and delete the corrupted cache file” and click OK.

Hope this helps!

Monday, December 22, 2008 8:12 AM
  • Hi,

It still doesn't work after all of those instructions.
    I've deleted the Cache.wdp file successfully, but after a reboot and after launching WSS, I've never had the specified message: 'Cache File Is Corrupted'.
    One more thing: In the WSS window, the WDP is turned off (when I save a test document, it's still here after a reboot), but when I want to suppress it from programs list, it says: 'WDP is enabled, please turn it off.'
    What's happening, trying to make it clear:

WSS is installed.
    I launch WSS, then want to turn on the WDP.
    >Clicking on 'Enable' it says that a cache file will be created and that it may takes some time > Ok / Cancel.
    >I then Click on 'Ok'
    >Cache file is being created (in a seconds, fairly fast for a 40Gb file)
    > After that, it immediatly ask me for a reboot (don't see a cancel button this time), I cannot select any choice from the WDP features as:
    • Remove all changes at restart
    • Retain changes temporarily
    • Retain all changes
    /!\ It is not a space disk problem /!\ > I have at least half of my partition free, roughly 160Gb.

-----
    --------------------

On the other hand, I cannot edit any user settings from an account created from the windows account manager beneath the control panel.

Regards.
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 10:01 PM
  • Hi,

Could you check a couple of things to help us track this down? 

1. Verify that the driver is installed
      1. Enable Windows Disk Protection and reboot
      2. Log in and open a command prompt. 
      3. What are the results of this command?
        C:\> driverquery | findstr /i vcf
    2. Look for events in the System event log related to VCF, Windows Disk Protection, or SteadyState
      1. Start > Run > eventvwr
      2. On the left side, select the System log
      3. Search for any entries from those sources since you enabled WDP

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Friday, December 26, 2008 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

Here are the results of your check list:

1. C:\> driverquery | findstr /i vcf
      VCF          VCF                    Kernel        06/06/2007 00:56:30  

2. A copy of each event concerning Windows Steady State (From an XP Home Edition SP3)
      It's in french, then I guess I don't need to translate very much but I'll try:
      Most of the time it's the same thing:

'The description for the ID(xxx) in the source (WSS) can't be found. The local computer may not have the registry informations or the recquired libraries to display messages from a remote computer. You may use the option /AUXSOURCE= to get this description. Report to help categories for more informations.'
      The events' ID are: 205, 207, 0, 1, 2, 1200 and 4377 for the WSS Installer.

I paste them here:
      -----------------------------------------

Type de l'événement :    Informations

Source de l'événement :    Windows SteadyState
      Catégorie de l'événement :    (1)
      ID de l'événement :    205
      Date :        21/12/2008
      Heure :        22:59:34
      Utilisateur :    N/A
      Ordinateur :    EVE
      Description :
      La description pour l'ID d'événement ( 205 ) dans la source (Windows SteadyState) est introuvable. L'ordinateur local n'a peut-être pas les informations de Registre ou les librairies requises pour afficher les messages émanant d'un ordinateur distant. Vous pourrez peut-être utiliser l'option /AUXSOURCE= pour récupérer cette description. Reportez-vous aux rubriques Aide et support pour plus de détails. Les informations suivantes font partie de l'événement : .

ID de l'événement :    207
      Heure :        22:56:26
      Description :
      La description pour l'ID d'événement ( 207 ) dans la source (Windows SteadyState) est introuvable. L'ordinateur local n'a peut-être pas les informations de Registre ou les librairies requises pour afficher les messages émanant d'un ordinateur distant. Vous pourrez peut-être utiliser l'option /AUXSOURCE= pour récupérer cette description. Reportez-vous aux rubriques Aide et support pour plus de détails. Les informations suivantes font partie de l'événement : .

Catégorie de l'événement :    Aucun
      ID de l'événement :    0
      Heure :        22:53:33
      Description :
      La description pour l'ID d'événement ( 0 ) dans la source (Windows SteadyState) est introuvable. L'ordinateur local n'a peut-être pas les informations de Registre ou les librairies requises pour afficher les messages émanant d'un ordinateur distant. Vous pourrez peut-être utiliser l'option /AUXSOURCE= pour récupérer cette description. Reportez-vous aux rubriques Aide et support pour plus de détails. Les informations suivantes font partie de l'événement : Service started.

ID de l'événement :    100
      Date :        20/12/2008
      Heure :        23:12:28
      Description :
      La description pour l'ID d'événement ( 100 ) dans la source (Windows SteadyState) est introuvable. L'ordinateur local n'a peut-être pas les informations de Registre ou les librairies requises pour afficher les messages émanant d'un ordinateur distant. Vous pourrez peut-être utiliser l'option /AUXSOURCE= pour récupérer cette description. Reportez-vous aux rubriques Aide et support pour plus de détails. Les informations suivantes font partie de l'événement : .

Catégorie de l'événement :    (2)
      ID de l'événement :    1201
      Heure :        20:43:57
      Description :
      La description pour l'ID d'événement ( 1201 ) dans la source (Windows SteadyState) est introuvable. L'ordinateur local n'a peut-être pas les informations de Registre ou les librairies requises pour afficher les messages émanant d'un ordinateur distant. Vous pourrez peut-être utiliser l'option /AUXSOURCE= pour récupérer cette description. Reportez-vous aux rubriques Aide et support pour plus de détails. Les informations suivantes font partie de l'événement : Evy.

ID de l'événement :    1201
      Heure :        20:43:57
      Description :
      La description pour l'ID d'événement ( 1201 ) dans la source (Windows SteadyState) est introuvable. L'ordinateur local n'a peut-être pas les informations de Registre ou les librairies requises pour afficher les messages émanant d'un ordinateur distant. Vous pourrez peut-être utiliser l'option /AUXSOURCE= pour récupérer cette description. Reportez-vous aux rubriques Aide et support pour plus de détails. Les informations suivantes font partie de l'événement : Invité.

ID de l'événement :    1200
      Heure :        20:35:52
      Description :
      La description pour l'ID d'événement ( 1200 ) dans la source (Windows SteadyState) est introuvable. L'ordinateur local n'a peut-être pas les informations de Registre ou les librairies requises pour afficher les messages émanant d'un ordinateur distant. Vous pourrez peut-être utiliser l'option /AUXSOURCE= pour récupérer cette description. Reportez-vous aux rubriques Aide et support pour plus de détails. Les informations suivantes font partie de l'événement : Evy.

Source de l'événement :    Windows SteadyState Installer
      Catégorie de l'événement :    Aucun
      ID de l'événement :    4377
      Heure :        22:53:38
      Utilisateur :    EVE\Evy
      Description :

La description pour l'ID d'événement ( 4377 ) dans la source (Windows SteadyState Installer) est introuvable. L'ordinateur local n'a peut-être pas les informations de Registre ou les librairies requises pour afficher les messages émanant d'un ordinateur distant. Vous pourrez peut-être utiliser l'option /AUXSOURCE= pour récupérer cette description. Reportez-vous aux rubriques Aide et support pour plus de détails. Les informations suivantes font partie de l'événement : Windows SteadyState; Windows SteadyState.
    Hope it helps, thx for support.
    Regards.
    Friday, December 26, 2008 3:11 PM
  •  Alouka wrote:

1. C:\> driverquery | findstr /i vcf
      VCF          VCF                    Kernel        06/06/2007 00:56:30  

Thanks for this information, it was very helpful.  The version of VCF driver that is installed on your system appears to be from SteadyState 2.0.  Is this left over from a previous 2.0 installation, or are you currently trying to install 2.0?

There were many changes to VCF (the driver the implements Windows Disk Protection) for SteadyState 2.5.  If you've somehow got a combination of SteadyState 2.5 using the VCF 2.0 driver, that could certainly account for all sorts of random problems.

Can you uninstall SteadyState and send the results of "driverquery | findstr /i vcf" again, just to see if somehow the driver is being left behind?  Did you ever do a manual uninstall (without using the uninstaller) of SteadyState 2.0?  We'll definitely need to get rid of that old copy of VCF before SteadyState 2.5 will work.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Friday, December 26, 2008 8:56 PM
  • Hello again,

I tried to remove WSS from the program list as it appears, but I can't : It says that WDP is enabled.
    I've also tried to remove it via the safe boot mode, but in this mode it doesn't appear in the program list.
    I've read some
    usefull posts to remove WSS but it still doesn't work, neither in safe mode or with a 'classical' admin account, even trying to remove the 2 lines in the registry seetings to reinstall then remove WSS.

I've also found a post which explains how to remove the VCF Driver.
    I've followed the steps successfully, but after the system reboots, I don't see any accounts, I did 2 times ctrl / alt / del to enable the log on window, trying to log me on with the Admin root acc, but it denies me the access with an error message : 'Can't log on because there is an account limitation'.
    I've tried to log on with my previous accounts, but they're locked. Since it's an home edition, I cannot add the account management via MMC, feature reserved to XP Pro.
    I've restored the system before the manipulation.

Have you any ideas to properly remove steady state?
    I'm not friendly to the idea of suppressing manually the folder in c:\program files\windows steady state\ after killing bubble.exe and sctsvc.exe in the task manager, and deleting all the registry keys I can find.
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 3:02 AM
  • Hi,

It sounds like SteadyState disabled accounts because WDP is enabled but not functioning.  You should be able to log in by booting into Safe Mode and logging in as Administrator (this has to be the built-in Administrator account, not another account that has Admin access).

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 1:52 AM
  • Hello again,

I've successfully removed WSS via the Safe Mode.
    Then, I've boot normally, and checked if the VCF driver was still here, but it doesn't appears.
    I would like to install WSS from the safe mode this time, is there any contraindications?

Thanks for your answer.
    Monday, December 29, 2008 3:36 AM
  • Hi,

That's not a scenario that we test.  Now that the old VCF driver from SteadyState 2.0 is uninstalled, you should be able to install SteadyState 2.5 from a normal boot.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:01 AM
  •  

Hi Rob,

I am having the same trouble as Alouka. I installed 2.5 today and simply cannot uninstall after the application had errors under preliminary testing. I have gone through the recommendations you had given Alouka and similarly, didn't have a memory issue.

Since I can't uninstall, and since there are errors when I try to log in the account I wanted to use it with (We are a small public library), I have an out of order machine. You are definitely my last hope before forced to more radical steps.

You can find the screenshots below:

Uninstall Error

Disk Protection State 

Unlocked account with states

Respectfully, perhaps testing this scenario might be in order?

Thank you for continued feedback.

Tatjana Versaggi
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 12:18 AM
  •  TatjanaV wrote:

I am having the same trouble as Alouka. I installed 2.5 today and simply cannot uninstall after the application had errors under preliminary testing. I have gone through the recommendations you had given Alouka and similarly, didn't have a memory issue.

What were the errors that you encountered?

TatjanaV wrote:

Since I can't uninstall, and since there are errors when I try to log in the account I wanted to use it with (We are a small public library), I have an out of order machine. You are definitely my last hope before forced to more radical steps.

No problem, we can remove WDP manually.  First, I need to know if the VCF driver is installed.  Can you send me the output of this command:

C:\> driverquery | findstr /i VCF

TatjanaV wrote:

You can find the screenshots below:

Uninstall Error

Disk Protection State 

Unlocked account with states

Thanks, these were helpful.  Good idea posting them online.

TatjanaV wrote:

Respectfully, perhaps testing this scenario might be in order?

I know it's not particularly comforting when it's your machine that's having problems, but we really do perform extensive testing, especially on WDP.  We have literally hundreds of machines with all manner of configurations in the lab specifically for this purpose.  Unfortunately, we've never see this sort of thing happen in our own testing.  I'm definitely curious about how this happend on your machine, though.  If you don't mind, could you run eventvwr.msc and look through the System event log to see if there are any events with a source of "Windows Disk Protection" or VCF or VCFFltr? 

Also, can you list the specific steps you went through that resulted in this, and any error messages or warnings you saw?

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:15 AM
  • Hi Rob,
    First thank you for your speedy reply!

Rob Elmer Wrote:

No problem, we can remove WDP manually.  First, I need to know if the VCF driver is installed.  Can you send me the output of this command:

C:\> driverquery | findstr /i VCF

I will try this again. I couldn't make it go before... but I think I can't find the | on my keyboard at work. I reached for it and it wasn't there.I will try to paste it into the command line.

Rob Elmer Wrote:

If you don't mind, could you run eventvwr.msc and look through the System event log to see if there are any events with a source of "Windows Disk Protection" or VCF or VCFFltr? 

I will do this. I used to test video conferencing stuff ages ago and I know what you mean. Could this be part of the instability associate with the x64? I just saw that thread... scott shao I think was the name that I remember. I'll have to go back and look for that. I should have tagged it in delicious. I will also try to keep a list of actions, as requested. Today may not be so panicked as yesterday. Smile BTW, I really like the interface. I was really excited about the level of customizability. The documentation was excellent. Clearly the support is incredibly responsive.

I'm not kissing up... really... I am genuinely surprized and find it deeply refreshing for those of us who are accidental IT. Thank you.

Now off to perform the functions requested...

Cheers and Best,

Tatjana Versaggi

Dripping Springs Community Library

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:14 PM
  • Hi,

TatjanaV wrote:

First thank you for your speedy reply!

You're welcome!

TatjanaV wrote:

Could this be part of the instability associate with the x64?

Are you using a 64-bit OS?  SteadyState doesn't support that and is supposed to prevent installation on 64-bit platforms.  If for some reason it did allow you to install on a 64-bit platform, that would definitely explain why Windows Disk Protection doesn't work.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 8:45 AM