none
Migrating DPM Server (2010) to New Hardware RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, We have DPM 2010 installed on a node of a Hyper-V Failover Cluster (2008 R2 NON SP1).  We understand that it's highly recommended to install DPM on a dedicated server, and that's exactly what we'd like to do.  Since we're migrating from a SAN (MD3000i) to local storage (on the new server) and we only have 6 or so Protection Groups, I'm considering that it may be cleaner just to start the DPM install from scratch (and recreate the PGs) on the new server.  Obviously, I have the technet procedure http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399608.aspx but I'm unclear on the detail.  We have only two (2) protected workstations; all the remaining protection applies to (6) Hyper-V Virtual Machines ((3) W2K Servers, (1) WS2003 and (2) WS2008 R2 NON SP1).  We also have a Dell PV Autoloader 124T Tape Drive.  On a general level, I'd really just like to disable the old DPM (incl the Autoloader library) and enable the new DPM (and reattach the Autoloader library).  The technet procedure specifies:

(1) Install DPM on a new server.  (CAN DO)

(2) ...run SetDPMServer.exe -DPMServerName <Name of new DPM server> (I ASSUME THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THE TWO (2) WORKSTATIONS; TO MY KNOWLEDGE, WE NEVER INSTALLED AGENTS ON ANY OF THE VIRTUAL MACHINES) ?

(3) Run the PowerShell script Attach-ProductionServer.ps1... (AGAIN, I ASSUME THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THE TWO (2) WORKSTATIONS) ?

(4) Create PGs on the new DPM server (CAN DO)

(5) Maintain the previous DPM server until the recovery points...are no longer required (I ASSUME I CAN MAINTAIN THE OLD SERVER IN SOME "DISABLED" STATE) ?

So, these steps raise a myriad of questions... How and when do I "disable" the old DPM Server?  Do I need to "detach"/"reattach" the Virtual Machines in some fashion?  How do I properly "disable"/"reenable" the Autoloader library (and how do I deal with the dependencies on the existing tapes) ?  Do I need to be concerned with naming conventions that I use for the new PGs (I assume that it would be preferred to use new names) ?

Thank you so much for your help...!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you going to protect the hyper-V cluster guests at the host level (install dpm agents on the cluster nodes) - then you don't need to install agents inside the guests.    Nothing special needs to be done with the tape library - you can uninstall DPM and retain the tapes and replica data.  Should something go really south on the new DPM server prior to getting new backups, you could just re-install DPM on the old server, restore the DPMDB and be back in protection.   When you attach the library to the new DPM server, the tapes will need to be imported and re-cataloged before you can restore from them.  They will show up under External DPM tapes tree under the recovery tab.

The only restriction is imported tapes cannot be restored to original location, you must select alternate location and if application data (SQL, Exchange, etc) cannot be restored natively only restored as flat files to any server that has a protection agent installed.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since you are not really migrating DPM server but basically standing up a new machine, the steps you have outlined above should work fine.  Basically any server that has a DPM agent installed on it would need to have the setdpmserver command ran to point to the new DPM server, and the attach-productionserver script ran on the new DPM server.    The problem is going to be protecting the guests on the hyper-V cluster while DPM is still installed on a node of the cluster. (which was never supported - see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399554.aspx)   So as long as you have the hyper-v guests backed up to tape, I would un-install DPM on the cluster node and maintain the replica data, then immediatly reprotect the cluster by deploying agents and backing up the guests.  Once you have a few good backups, you can manually delete the data on the old storage pool disk(s) on the MD3000i - and you can always restore from the old DPM servers tapes if you need older versions.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Thanks, Mike...!  Just a few follow-up questions...  I didn't have to deploy agents to the guests before.  Will I have to with the new server...?  I assume that I will need to disable the (Autoloader) library prior to the uninstall of DPM on the old server...?  Any other special handling I should know about with respect to the Autoloader...?  Thanks again...!
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Hi,

If you going to protect the hyper-V cluster guests at the host level (install dpm agents on the cluster nodes) - then you don't need to install agents inside the guests.    Nothing special needs to be done with the tape library - you can uninstall DPM and retain the tapes and replica data.  Should something go really south on the new DPM server prior to getting new backups, you could just re-install DPM on the old server, restore the DPMDB and be back in protection.   When you attach the library to the new DPM server, the tapes will need to be imported and re-cataloged before you can restore from them.  They will show up under External DPM tapes tree under the recovery tab.

The only restriction is imported tapes cannot be restored to original location, you must select alternate location and if application data (SQL, Exchange, etc) cannot be restored natively only restored as flat files to any server that has a protection agent installed.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Thanks so much for your help, Mike.  I really appreciate it...!
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:22 PM