Disable Adobe Flash Player on Edge RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to disable the use of Flash player on Edge through Group Policy Editor.

My use case is: A user should not be able to enable flash player on Edge (it is not enabled by default but I don't want the user to be able to change this setting).

This setting can be found in Edge under Settings/View Advanced Settings/Use Adobe Flash Player

Thanks

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 2:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    In this case, it seems that there is not built-in method to prevent users disabling/enabling this option.
    But if you don’t want users to use Adobe Flash Player, how about to uninstall it? If you do that, users could not use it whatever browser they open.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by meloncillo Thursday, December 15, 2016 7:52 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2016 1:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    As far as I know, the following registry files control changes to Adobe Flash Player in the Edge by value 0/1:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\Addons
    FlashPlayerEnabled
    0 = disable
    1 = enable
    In this case, we could use group policy to configure this registry item for clients:
    Configure a Registry Item https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753092(v=ws.11).aspx
    Best regards,
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 2:32 AM
  • Thanks for the answer, but that registry key does not prevent the user from re-enabling Flash through the Edge settings dialog which is my intended purpose. How can I restrict that?

Friday, December 2, 2016 10:43 AM
  • Hi,
    Have you tried to deploy the registry via group policy?
    If the setting is controlled by group policy, it would be greyed out when user access it.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Monday, December 5, 2016 2:14 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

thanks for the answer. I have applied it through Group Policy, however, I don't see it greyed out when a user tries to change it. The user is still able to enable or disable flash within Edge.

Monday, December 5, 2016 4:10 PM
  • Hi,
    Have you check if the GPO applied successfully by running gpresult /r command?
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Thursday, December 8, 2016 1:54 AM
  • Yes, I have checked, it is applied correctly setting the value of the key to 0
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 3:26 PM
  • Hi,
    In this case, it seems that there is not built-in method to prevent users disabling/enabling this option.
    But if you don’t want users to use Adobe Flash Player, how about to uninstall it? If you do that, users could not use it whatever browser they open.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

• Marked as answer by meloncillo Thursday, December 15, 2016 7:52 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2016 1:53 AM
  • Hi,

How is it possible to uninstall flash in W10 through GPO?

Thanks

Monday, December 12, 2016 2:43 PM
  • Hi,

For me, I would deploy a script which is used to uninstall the flash as logon/startup script via group policy: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee431705(v=ws.10).aspx

Regarding the script to uninstall program, please refer to:

Use PowerShell to Find and Uninstall Software

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2011/12/14/use-powershell-to-find-and-uninstall-software/

And if you have more questions about the scripting, you could post questions in the scripting forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/home?forum=ITCG

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction.

Best regards,

Wendy

Thursday, December 15, 2016 1:26 AM
  • Thanks for your answers, I will look into that!

Cheers,

Thursday, December 15, 2016 8:08 AM
  • Hi,
    Ok, and if you still have any questions later, please feel free to contact us.
    Appreciate for your feedback.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Friday, December 16, 2016 1:49 AM