none
Problems auto-levelling a part-time task & a full-time one RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a super-simple project: a task named "Task A: Full Time Work" and a task named "Task B: Part Time Work." Task A is 40 hours over 5 days. Task B is 8 hours over 4 days. They are both assigned to the same resource, and should begin immediately. I've given Task B a priority of 600 and Task A a priority of 500.

    Resource 1 can only spend 25% of his time on Task B, because the materials are only coming in very slowly. So as he finishes some of this task over the course of the project, he should be able to spend some time on Task A. However, when I level the project, the two task don't overlap.

    If both tasks begin at the same time, and Task B only uses 25% of the resource's time, shouldn't the other 75% of his time be allocated to task A, instead of Task A being automatically moved to begin after task B is done?

    I've tried changing the tasks to use fixed work, fixed units, effort driven, manually scheduled, automatically scheduled and all combinations.

    What can I do to have these tasks overlap so that the resource can start the part-time task and use the rest of his time over the two days on the full-time task?

    • Edited by Markus64 Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:51 PM
    Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:51 PM

All replies

  • I would not use leveling to manage this.  I would manual enter the hours for each day using the Resource Usage View from Project pro. 

    Several other aspects to this is actual work that has been applied and if the resource is used in other schedules.


    Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

    Thursday, June 8, 2017 3:11 PM
    Moderator