Features in XP not in Vista? RRS feed

• Question

• I have gone from using Windows XP Media Center to Windows Vista.  In vista i had an option with images where i could right click the image then select resize image.  This was a good tool that Vista doesnt seem to have.  Also where has the "open with" menu gone when you right click a file in Vista?

Shouldn't this be an improvement to Windows XP.

Monday, April 16, 2007 11:29 AM

All replies

• Hmmm... The "open with" appears for me. The menu is somewhat different when you right click a file but the "open with" command is still there.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 11:41 PM
  • The Image Resize was a powertoy addon for Windows XP (See Here: Link) which is think was included with MCE.

It isn't supported in Windows Vista and it is a very valuable feature so I hope that one day this particular powertoy is updated.

I have noticed that 'Open With...' doesn't appear on files that already don't have an association with them you simply double click, but other files try holding shift as you right click but it should be there.

I hope this helps you.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:07 AM
  • The 'open with' menu seems to work different in Vista. In XP, open with was a context menu that showed a list of programs that you have previously used to open that file type.

eg. You right-click a .DAT file, select open with, then open it with Notepad. The next time you expand open with on a .DAT file, it will automatically list Notepad.

In Vista, you have to manually go through the dialogue box to select a program every single time, regardless of any previous actions on that file type.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 1:28 AM