none
Start date does not change for tasks that start late RRS feed

• Question

• The PM schedules a task to start at July 1.  On July 7 the resource assigned to that tasks change the start date of the assignment to July 2 using the My Tasks option in PWA.  When the PM opens the project, approves the changes and publish the changes, but the start date is not changed at the task level.  Actual start is not changed either.  If the PM opens the Task usage view in project Pro he can see the start date is changed at the assignment level and not at the task level.

Any ideas why the start date is not changed?

Miguel

Monday, July 9, 2018 10:03 PM

Answers

• MiguelAngelVE --

Even though the page is called the Tasks page, what team members are seeing on this page ARE NOT tasks. What they are seeing is their task assignments.  Suppose we have four team members assigned to the task you describe, and suppose that team member #4 changes the Start date from July 1 to July 2.  If the PM approves the updates from the four team members, the PM would see in the Task Usage view in Microsoft Project that the Start date for the first three team members is still July 1, but for team member #4, the Start date would be July 2.

In essence, the team member is NOT telling you when he/she actually started work, which is why there is no change to the Actual Start date of the task.  Instead, the team member is telling you when he/she INTENDED to start work on the task.  Based on this problem, I think your application administrator needs to change the setup of the Tasks page.  I would recommend that he/she LOCK the Start and Finish columns so that team members cannot change those dates.  And I would also recommend that he/she add the Actual Start and Actual Finish columns to the Tasks page so that team members can tell you when they actually started and finished work on their tasks.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by MiguelAngelVE Tuesday, July 10, 2018 11:51 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 12:11 AM

All replies

• MiguelAngelVE --

Even though the page is called the Tasks page, what team members are seeing on this page ARE NOT tasks. What they are seeing is their task assignments.  Suppose we have four team members assigned to the task you describe, and suppose that team member #4 changes the Start date from July 1 to July 2.  If the PM approves the updates from the four team members, the PM would see in the Task Usage view in Microsoft Project that the Start date for the first three team members is still July 1, but for team member #4, the Start date would be July 2.

In essence, the team member is NOT telling you when he/she actually started work, which is why there is no change to the Actual Start date of the task.  Instead, the team member is telling you when he/she INTENDED to start work on the task.  Based on this problem, I think your application administrator needs to change the setup of the Tasks page.  I would recommend that he/she LOCK the Start and Finish columns so that team members cannot change those dates.  And I would also recommend that he/she add the Actual Start and Actual Finish columns to the Tasks page so that team members can tell you when they actually started and finished work on their tasks.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by MiguelAngelVE Tuesday, July 10, 2018 11:51 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 12:11 AM
  • Thanks a lot Dale!

I followed your action plan for the assignment detail page and solved the problem.

Miguel

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 11:50 PM