none
Tape backup with co-location and removal of a protection group RRS feed

• Question

• I had long-terms backups enabled for around half (5) of my protection groups.

To ensure that they all go onto one tape I have enabled co-location.

However, adding additional members to one of the protection groups meant that they didn't fit onto one tape any more.

I really didn't want this, so I disabled long-term protection on one of the protection groups, which contained one server that I no longer needed on long-term backups.

The problem now is that it seems that DPM will no longer re-use the existing tapes, because presumably it sees these as belonging to another protection group. Could this be the reason?

If so, what is the best workaround for this? Assuming that it is possible, do I need to follow a process to mark all existing tapes as free again? I really don't want to have to do this because if I do them all in one go, I would lose all of my long term backups but I really don't want the hassle of having to do them one by one, just before each tape is required.

It might actually be easier for me to add back the long-term protection for this server, even though I no longer require this server to be backed up long-term. And I am then back to it tripping onto two tapes.

Previously, I have added and removed members of groups without any problems, but obviously removing a group is different matter.

Any advice is appreciated.

Bruce.

• Edited by Redbruce Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:35 AM
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I am not aware of any problems with DPM reusing tapes that contained co-located data sources if a PG is removed from LT protection.  Basically, anytime a tape expires it is a candidate to be reused for any future backups.  Expired tapes will not be reused if you have "free" tapes in the library.  This is because you can still recover data from expired tapes, and once overwritten you loose that capaibility, so the thought is to always use free tapes if any are available before overwriting an expired tape.

If you experience any issues with re-using expired tapes when there are no free tapes, let me know.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 2, 2012 8:30 PM

All replies

• Hi

Can you please elaborate on this problem statmemt, what do you mean by this.

<snip>
    The problem now is that it seems that DPM will no longer re-use the existing tapes, because presumably it sees these as belonging to another protection group.
    >snip<

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 2:46 AM
  • I suppose what I am asking is, with co-location enabled if I remove a PG from long-term backups (i.e. tape backups) will DPM still be able to backup to the tapes which have have been using (as dailys, weeklys etc.)?

I got the impression after removing this PG (called "Exchange mailstore") that DPM refused to backup to a (expired) daily tapes, but I could be mistaken. I don't know if this is relveant, but under the column "Protection Group" the tapes that still contain backups of this PG it was listed first.

Ie. Was: "Exchange mailstore; Backup of DPM; Several Virtual machines; SQL Databases; Physical machines (inc 2 DCs)"

(I removed "Exchange mailstore" from long-term backups)

---

For now I have added the "Exchange mailstore" back into long term backups and DPM is backing up to tape properly, but that is around 120GB of data I needn't backup.

I am wondering if I should retain the PG but remove the Mailstore member and add another member which is small (say just a folder), just to keep the tape backups working, then if possible rename the PG group?

Bruce.

Friday, March 2, 2012 11:02 AM
  • Hi,

I am not aware of any problems with DPM reusing tapes that contained co-located data sources if a PG is removed from LT protection.  Basically, anytime a tape expires it is a candidate to be reused for any future backups.  Expired tapes will not be reused if you have "free" tapes in the library.  This is because you can still recover data from expired tapes, and once overwritten you loose that capaibility, so the thought is to always use free tapes if any are available before overwriting an expired tape.

If you experience any issues with re-using expired tapes when there are no free tapes, let me know.

Friday, March 2, 2012 8:30 PM
  • That's great thanks, I had assumed that once a tape was used for a protection group backup, it had to be used for that group (or set of groups in relation to co-location), even after it had expired.

What had happened was that there was also a free tape and it started using this tape and then seemed to get stuck on it (I had to manually stop the backup), but that problem was probably unrelated.

I am now going to removing the PG from LT backups and see what happens.

Friday, March 2, 2012 8:38 PM