none
Deploying Exchange 2010 Management Console On Windows 7 Fails on MDT 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• All prerequisites task sequences work, but EMC installation fails because the during it's checks, Exchange setup application says Active Directory cannot be found.

This seems to be because MDT is running under the local administrator account.

If I manually run the task sequence as a post deployment application install and log into the workstation with a domain admin account, the installation succeeds.

Is there a way to get around this so that it can be deployed with an deployment task sequence rather than having to be run as a separate manual application install after the deployment is over?

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:37 PM

Answers

• For this, I use a four step process.

1. Install RSAT tools in Windows 7 (Remote Administration Administration, for administering a domain)
    2. Install Exchange prerequisites, such as ISS
    3. Reboot (previous step requires a reboot, before actual install)
    4. Install Exchange MC

For RSAT, I use this script (as a Run Comand Line in the TS):

@echo off
    echo Installing Remote Server Atministration Tools for Windows 7 with SP1
    start /w wusa %~sdp0Windows6.1-KB958830-x64-RefreshPkg.msu /quiet
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-ServerManager
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-DS
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-DS-SnapIns
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-Powershell
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-DHCP
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-DNS
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-FileServices
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-FileServices-Dfs
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-RDS
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Features
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Features-Clustering
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Features-GP
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Features-LoadBalancing
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Features-StorageExplorer
    start /w ocsetup RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Features-StorageManager
    echo Enabling StartMenuAdminTools for all users
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced /v StartMenuAdminTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0x1

For installing Exchange prerequisites, I use this script:

@echo off
    echo Installing Exchange prerequisites
    start /wait ocsetup IIS-WebServerRole
    start /wait ocsetup IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility
    start /wait %~sdp0filterpack64bit.exe /passive /norestart
    start /wait ocsetup IIS-Metabase
    start /w wusa %~sdp0Windows6.1-KB977020-v2-x64.msu /quiet
    start /w wusa %~sdp0Windows6.1-KB979099-x64.msu /quiet
    start /w wusa %~sdp0Windows6.1-KB979744-x64.msu /quiet
    start /w wusa %~sdp0Windows6.1-KB982867-v2-x64.msu /quiet
    start /w wusa %~sdp0Windows6.1-KB983440-x64.msu /quiet

For the final install of Exchange, I use this script:

start /wait ocsetup IIS-LegacySnapIn
    psexec /accepteula -e -i -u domain\adminuser -p Pa$$w0rd setup.com /mode:install /roles:MT

You can donwload psexec from Microsoft here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Martin

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Martin van Bellen Monday, January 20, 2014 8:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by MyGposts Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:21 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 8:48 AM
  • Ok,

Makes sense, but that doesn't mean you cannot use this solution. Because you can create an optional application installation called 'Install EMC', which for example install's Java Virtual Machine v1.6, and then put a condition on the step above, that this step may only run, if installed software Java Virtual Machine v1.6 is detected.

So basically you create a dependency in the execution of this step, if another optional software program is installed, this software will be installed too!

I can imagine it may be a bit cumbersome, but where there's a will, there's a way :)

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Edited by Hollanders, Rens Monday, January 20, 2014 3:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by MyGposts Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:22 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 3:17 PM

All replies

• I think what MDT needs is to either log in as a user with domain-checking access and then run the commands to install the Exchange Management Console, then log out and back in as local administrator and complete the rest of the deployment or else it needs to "Runas" a domain user when installing the app.

So that we do not need to create a unique image and task sequence to install EMC, this application will be one of the optional applications that is installed by checking a box when getting ready to run the task sequence.

I only see the run as a different user option when the application is part of an existing OS deployment task sequence, not when it is an optional add on application that only installs on demand.

Is there any way to do automate what we need to do such as make an application that isn't built into the deployment task sequence run as a user account that has access to do the Active Directory checks the EMC setup requires?

Monday, January 20, 2014 1:33 AM

1. Install RSAT tools in Windows 7 (Remote Administration Administration, for administering a domain)
    4. Install Exchange MC

@echo off
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced /v StartMenuAdminTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0x1

@echo off

psexec /accepteula -e -i -u domain\adminuser -p Pa$$w0rd setup.com /mode:install /roles:MT

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Martin

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Martin van Bellen Monday, January 20, 2014 8:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by MyGposts Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:21 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

I think Martin's post is really helpfull, however you might try to do the following, since you have already managed to install everything else, but the EMC:

As you can see on this pane, is that on a run command line step, you can provide alternative credentials to run a certain command. Although these properties are not available on a "Install Application" step, this can be resolved by using the following command in your command line:

"%DeployRoot%\Applications\EMC Console\Install.cmd" (or vbs, or PoSh, regardless which wrapper you use)

And then provide the credentials of the domain account, on the "Run this step as the following account".

Hope this helps, and I'm curious which method you have used in the end.

Cheers!

Monday, January 20, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

I think Martin's post is really helpfull, however you might try to do the following, since you have already managed to install everything else, but the EMC:

As you can see on this pane, is that on a run command line step, you can provide alternative credentials to run a certain command. Although these properties are not available on a "Install Application" step, this can be resolved by using the following command in your command line:

"%DeployRoot%\Applications\EMC Console\Install.cmd" (or vbs, or PoSh, regardless which wrapper you use)

And then provide the credentials of the domain account, on the "Run this step as the following account".

Hope this helps, and I'm curious which method you have used in the end.

Cheers!

I will not have the option to check the box that says Run this step as the following account" because installing these tools will not be part of the task  sequence to deploy the OS.  It will be an optional application that is selected to be installed only as needed.
    Monday, January 20, 2014 3:09 PM
  • Ok,

Makes sense, but that doesn't mean you cannot use this solution. Because you can create an optional application installation called 'Install EMC', which for example install's Java Virtual Machine v1.6, and then put a condition on the step above, that this step may only run, if installed software Java Virtual Machine v1.6 is detected.

So basically you create a dependency in the execution of this step, if another optional software program is installed, this software will be installed too!

I can imagine it may be a bit cumbersome, but where there's a will, there's a way :)

• Edited by Hollanders, Rens Monday, January 20, 2014 3:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by MyGposts Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:22 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 3:17 PM

4. Install Exchange MC

@echo off

@echo off

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Martin

I think some of those Exchange prerequisites in your script are only for installs on a server and do not apply to Windows 7.

I will try adding the PSEXEC commands to run the Exchange setup commands.  

What are the minimum access rights the account specified in PSEXEC needs to successfully complete the Exchange Management Console installation?  Does it need to be an Exchange Admin or any other special rights other than being able to read and execute the files in the share where the Exchange install files are located?

• Edited by MyGposts Monday, January 20, 2014 3:34 PM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 3:33 PM
  • Ok,

Instead of installing an unneeded piece of software, could I install an "application" that is simply a batch fie that copies a text file to the C drive and then have the application install task that I really need (EMC) do an if statement option that checks for the existence of that text file and only  runs the install when that text file is there?   

The only problem I see with this install option is that it wouldn't work as a post OS manual install unless the software or file it checks for is done manually.

• Edited by MyGposts Monday, January 20, 2014 6:28 PM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 6:22 PM
  • I'm not saying you need to litterally install Java, I dont know if there is any real application pre-installed for EMC, where you can put this condition on. It was just an example.

Monday, January 20, 2014 6:43 PM
  • I'm not saying you need to litterally install Java, I dont know if there is any real application pre-installed for EMC, where you can put this condition on. It was just an example.

I did not literally mean only Java either, but some application that is not normally installed would have to be installed and you are restricted to only applications installed via MSI and none of the EMC prereqs are installed via MSI.

I was wondering if a workaround could be to use a text file check instead.

Monday, January 20, 2014 7:50 PM
  • I don't think a text file will do the trick either. Why not use a certain registry string/dword value as condition? I can imagine that from any of the prerequisites a registry entry as condition can be used.

Monday, January 20, 2014 8:53 PM
  • I was able to set a "run command" to launch based on the condition of finding one of the admin tools files in c:\windows\system32, but the deployment of EMC still failed.

Even though it is running using the exact same command and working directory path as the application that runs successfully post-install, when it runs during the deployment task, it says it is an invalid working directory and fails with a red failure screen.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:46 PM
  • What happens when you perform the same installation from a command prompt with the elevated privileges of the domain account?

I ask this because it is not clear to me if you have tested this installation 'silent' upfront from a command prompt, before you went integrating it as an application in MDT.

Perhaps an error will pop-up or you see something in the event viewer.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:02 AM