none
question about remote access

Question

• Recently I found a weird thing that if I remove the gpo about restricted administrators group which includes domain admins, then I can no longer remote into any workstations or servers saying access denied. I thought domain admins should be able to remote into any workstations or servers. It seems that domain admins have to be added to the local admininstrators group to be able to remote into workstations and servers. I tried to create gpo with remote desktop users with domain admins in it but still no luck.

Does remote access have to be the member of local administrator group? I am lost.

Please advise.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For member of domain, you may only need add the user to Remote Desktop User group like below. By default, administrator has access.

For DC, you need add the user to Allow logon locally in GPO like below.

If you configure the setting Allow logon through Remote Desktop Service, only these users are added could logon remote DC.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For member of domain, you may only need add the user to Remote Desktop User group like below. By default, administrator has access.

For DC, you need add the user to Allow logon locally in GPO like below.

If you configure the setting Allow logon through Remote Desktop Service, only these users are added could logon remote DC.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:29 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

If the reply above has resolved your problem, please mark it as answer.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jay

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:16 AM