none
Question on restarting a project at a later date RRS feed

• Question

• Using Project 2010 Standard...

Hey folks, I have a project with a bunch of fixed work tasks. Most of the tasks aren't really tied together by predecessors, they could happen in whatever order.

Let's say the project started on Feb 1, and the baseline plan, with resources leveled, took us out to March 31. In actuality, some % of the project was completed, and then the resources were pulled off onto another project temporarily. Now it's early March and the resources are coming back. I want to adjust my plan to figure out when we expect to complete things NOW, assuming we are starting again tomorrow.

What is the best way to tell project "restart the dates with tomorrow"? Is it the "Reschedule uncompleted work to start after X" option under the Project tab >> Update Project?

Thanks!

• Edited by sbattisti Friday, March 6, 2015 8:58 PM
    Friday, March 6, 2015 8:58 PM

Answers

• "Reschedule uncompleted work to start after X" is one option. The only downside to that is all "unstarted" tasks will now get a SNET constraint. Not drastci, but an annoyance.

Another option is to create an exception in your Project Calendar, for the time that the resources were pulled off. This will automatically move all tasks. You can even extra polate this and update the resource calendars themselves.

Pick the one that works for you.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by sbattisti Friday, March 6, 2015 9:40 PM
    Friday, March 6, 2015 9:39 PM

All replies

• "Reschedule uncompleted work to start after X" is one option. The only downside to that is all "unstarted" tasks will now get a SNET constraint. Not drastci, but an annoyance.

Another option is to create an exception in your Project Calendar, for the time that the resources were pulled off. This will automatically move all tasks. You can even extra polate this and update the resource calendars themselves.

Pick the one that works for you.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

• Marked as answer by sbattisti Friday, March 6, 2015 9:40 PM
    Friday, March 6, 2015 9:39 PM

Ugh, I don't love the constraints. :(

But, I tried it that way, and it seems to be working for me for now.

Thanks!

Friday, March 6, 2015 9:40 PM
  • sbattisti --

Yup, if it were me and my project had some completed tasks, some in-progress tasks, and some unstarted tasks, I would use the Reschedule Uncompleted Work option.  That tool will reschedule all in-progress and unstarted tasks, but will leave the completed tasks as currently scheduled.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, March 6, 2015 9:40 PM
  • You are right to be reluctant to assign date constraints, which should be a last resort. You have not mentioned setting a status date.

The status date is usually set as a recent date in the past and is the date up to which you measure progress, and also the date from which un-started tasks should start. It marks the boundary between the past and the future.

It helps to display the status date as a vertical red line on the chart. Right click on the chart and select gridlines and pick the status date off the list (second last at the bottom).

For tasks which have actually started but not yet actually finished, the status date is the date from which the remaining scheduled duration should start (move incomplete parts to the status date), so that the the scheduled remaining duration, scheduled remaining work, scheduled remaining cost and the scheduled finish date are all in the future (relative to the status date). Everything which has actually happened should be in the past, on the left of the red line, and everything which is yet to happen should be in the future, on the right of the red line. There should be nothing scheduled in the past (because you can't plan to do something in the past) and there should be no actuals in the future (because you can't say something actually happened in the future).

When you use the button move, incomplete parts to the status date, on tasks which do not yet have an actual start, the task does acquire a SNET constraint, because this is how MSP does it, but this is a tolerable date constraint and appropriate in this situation.

Even this can be avoided by having a zero duration event called "status date" as a task, giving it a MFO constraint and making it a FS0 predecessor of those task that you want to push out. Then only this one event has a date constraint.

Friday, March 6, 2015 11:08 PM