Is the installation of XP locked into a particular computer? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an XP computer that's about to die after four years of constant use (too bad these things don't last 10 years like cars). After purchasing a replacement and installing XP, I have found that the recent versions of my no-longer-supported software do not install in each other's company, and returned that PC to its vendor. So my next move is to try a disk-image of the existing PC.

Will this method work?

My worry is that the disk image will include XP, and Microsoft's piracy protection will croak when it finds that on different hardware. Is this a groundless worry? I suspect not, for if it were, people could use this technique to pirate XP ad nauseum. Is there some way around this?

I have my own never-used, shrink-wrapped copy of XP I can install, but of course that would wipe the disk clean of the disk image I will have put on it...

Peyton
    Monday, February 7, 2011 3:00 PM

All replies

• From what I could gather you are trying to image an old machine and install the image on a new different machine.

It might work but you will still have to install some drivers for the new machine.

Some recovery CDs DVDs are locked to work only with the PC they came with, so watch out for that.

Good Luck!

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Monday, February 7, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Thanks. Your remark about drivers relates to something I've been wondering about: is it possible that drivers are specific to particular USB input jacks? It seems to happen to me fairly often that, when I move a PC somewhere and then move it back to where it was, and plug in the various USB peripherals, possibly into different USB input jacks, the Windows 'Found New Hardware' wizard is triggered, even though the driver in question is in fact installed and working on the PC.

Peyton
    Monday, February 7, 2011 4:30 PM