Turning the background image off in Windows 7 Starter? RRS feed

• Question

• While I somewhat understand the restriction of not allowing the background image to be changed in the Windows 7 Basic theme in Win 7 Starter, I don't understand why those running Starter are not allowed to turn off the image entirely.  This means Starter edition users are forced to have this bitmap loaded consuming valuable RAM.  Note that Starter edition is being loaded and is shipping on Netbooks where RAM usually at a premium. Turning the background image off should not constitute changing the background image to something else, which is the restriction.  For those of us running Starter edition, I at least thought I would be able to turn the background image off entirely.  I would prefer a solid color background (no image at all) to being forced to view and have loaded the Starter edition background.

I don't see why users should be forced to have an image loaded at all.  Please roll out a change to allow Starter edition users to turn the background image off in the included Windows 7 Basic theme.  Yes, I also know that changing to the Windows Classic theme turns off the background image, but it also turns off the new Windows 7 UI interface.  I would like to preserve the Windows 7 UI without having a background image consuming my RAM.

If anyone is aware of a registry setting to turn off this bitmap in the Windows 7 basic theme, I'd really appreciate knowing what it is.

Thanks.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:10 PM

All replies

• Could you not choose Windows Classic theme or is that not available with Starter edition?

Rich
    Friday, November 13, 2009 12:29 AM
  • Yes, you can choose the Classic theme, but as I said, that changes the window borders and overall look even though it does get rid of the background.  I want to retain the Windows 7 look and simply not have a background image at all.  Forcing the user to have a background image is unacceptable.

Also, I take it since this is the only response, there is no way to do what I want.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:52 AM
  • ive never tried it myself but you could try deleting the images in these directories  (you may have to turn on hidden folders to do this):

C:\Users\ [your username] \ AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Theme

C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows

no guarantees though. anyway, tell me if it works.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:30 AM
  • i try this option, but you can copy your background picture to that map. But if you want to delete the standard picture, he said that you aren't allowed to. So the standard picture isn't changable in this way.

But thnx for your response

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:48 PM
  • you can go to ease of access and at the bottom it has a check box for turn of bckground images and a black screen appears
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:05 AM