none
Show Task that contain overallocated resources. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Project Server 2013. I have add the Overallocated field to the Task Summary view. Currently it shows "No" on every task. I think that is due the the definition of overallocated for tasks defined by Microsoft.

HideOverallocated (task field)

Entry Type    Calculated

How Calculated    If a task has overallocated assignments, this field contains Yes. A task is overallocated if any of the assigned resources is assigned to more work on the task than can be completed within the resource's normal work capacity.

Best Uses    Add the Overallocated field to a task view when you want to review or filter for tasks that have more work on the task than the assigned resources can do within the allotted time and the resources' normal working capacity. You can then take action by assigning other resources or adding overtime.

Example    The "Prepare proposal" task is assigned to Sean, Chris, and Jamie. Chris is assigned to 10 hours of work scheduled to take place in one day, but the normal working day for Chris is 8 hours. Because Chris is overallocated on this assignment, the task is overallocated. The Overallocated field contains Yes.

Remarks    You can also see whether an individual resource is overallocated by viewing the resource in the Resource Graph view.

I there a way I could could get the Overallocated field to instead show task with over allocated resources?

Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:19 PM

Answers

• Hi James,

That's actually a good point I never had an answer about. If you have overallocated resources on tasks, they will display the overallocated indicator (red guy) showing resources are overallocated on the task, but the overallocated field will be equal to NO.

But then if you switch to the resource usage view (and not task usage) and disply the overallocated field, it will show the overallocated resources. BUT still show tasks with overallocated resources as not overallocated.

In my point of view, this field is only showing YES for resources/assignments and not task, which is irrelevant with the description MS gives about the overallocated task field. There is kind of a glitch here.

Maybe folks on the forum could correct me.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:31 PM