locked
DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <server name> using any of the configured protocols; requested by PID 19a4 (C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager.exe). RRS feed

  • Question

  • in server manager I am not able to connect to other servers to manage. I get the following error :

    Error server name : Configuration refresh failed with the following error: The metadata failed to be retrieved from the server, due to the following error: WinRM cannot complete the operation. Verify that the specified computer name is valid, that the computer is accessible over the network, and that a firewall exception for the WinRM service is enabled and allows access from this computer. By default, the WinRM firewall exception for public profiles limits access to remote computers within the same local subnet. 2/22/2015 2:28:23 PM
    Automatic RefreshCompleteRefresh failed 122/22/2015 2:25:09 PM2/22/2015 2:29:43 PM

    I have windows server failover cluster of 3 servers and shared quorum, running on the cluster is SQL AG role. the role is not functioning correctly. in order to fix the problem, I have to address connectivity issues in Cluster first. hence the above question. 

    other post don't apply to my situation, the cluster is newly configured. I had to change the IP address of all three server several times (i checked dns records, it is up to date). I did some recommended changes in the network adapter configuration to fix some cluster validation warning (I don't remember what changes I did). problem is, now this is a production business critical service.

    any help is appreciated, regarding server manager error.

    Sunday, February 22, 2015 10:35 AM

Answers

  • problem fixed. this url helped a lot.

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4494.windows-server-troubleshooting-the-rpc-server-is-unavailable.aspx#Identify

    the problem was different than anything in the article, but the tcp dump and filter for port 135 showed me that there was a malformed packets. which alarmed me to double check the mtu configuration from vcenter dvswitch to dell xml switches to core switches. and I found that mtu 9000 was missing on the xml. as soon as I configured the xml's for jumbo packets every thing started to work.

    • Marked as answer by Fayez Eltaha Monday, February 23, 2015 9:08 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 9:08 AM

All replies

  • problem fixed. this url helped a lot.

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4494.windows-server-troubleshooting-the-rpc-server-is-unavailable.aspx#Identify

    the problem was different than anything in the article, but the tcp dump and filter for port 135 showed me that there was a malformed packets. which alarmed me to double check the mtu configuration from vcenter dvswitch to dell xml switches to core switches. and I found that mtu 9000 was missing on the xml. as soon as I configured the xml's for jumbo packets every thing started to work.

    • Marked as answer by Fayez Eltaha Monday, February 23, 2015 9:08 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 9:08 AM
  • OMGoodness,

    I have been fighting this for weeks.  My DC's will sync, then stop.  No explanation, all of the settings are correct, I've read dang near every post, all list the same thing...all ports open, firewall off, both reachable, dns correct and functioning, AD and settings correct, etc.  Still wasn't working!   AAAAAH...

    Thank you for this post.  The issue was my Cisco 2960 won't allow jumbo frames on the vlan1 (it will on other vlans, just not the default vlan), my other devices allow jumbo frames.  I assumed it will limit the mtu to the mtu automatically (duh, that what the ICMP message is for that deals with mtu).  I was wrong.  I forced jumbo frames off on the my servers nic (both vm's).  Dcdiag and repadmin /syncall instantly worked.  No more DCOM unreachable, etc.  Problem solved, jumbo frames the issue.  So now, I can move my stuff off vlan 1, and re-enable jumbo frames...or just leave them off for now.

    Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:23 PM