none
DPM Error ID 33402 :: Live migration DPM backup fails and makes vmmservice unresponsive. RRS feed

• Question

• Copied from the partner forums which, for some reason, do not support DPM?

Hello, back again.  :)

I had problems with my old SCVMM server.  I have installed a new SCVMM server.  Both are still live.

DPM 2012 SP1 is backing up VM with live migration support per: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj656643.aspx#BKMK_Configure

I have added all hyper-v hosts (WS2012 Standard) to the new SCVMM instance with the option below.

This worked fine with no errors.

I then updated DPM with:

Set-DPMGlobalProperty -DPMServerName <dpmserver> KnownVMMServers <newscvmmserver>

However, when attempting to backup VMs I receive the following error.

Affected area: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\\vm.domain.COM
    Occurred since: 8/9/2013 8:38:32 AM
    Description: Recovery point creation jobs for Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\vm.domain.COM on vm.domain.com have been failing. The number of failed recovery point creation jobs = 1.
    If the data source protected has some dependent data sources (like a SharePoint Farm), then click on the Error Details to view the list of dependent data sources for which recovery point creation failed. (ID 3114)
    DPM did not find a Virtual machine that is managed by Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) server.
    Virtual machine name: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\vm.domain.COM.
    Server name: scvmm.domain.com. (ID 33402)
    More information
    Recommended action: 1) Verify that the virtual machine is still managed by the specified VMM Server.
    2) If the virtual machine is not managed by the specified VMM server, add the virtual machine to the VMM server as a managed entity.
    Create a recovery point...
    Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
    Inactivate

My question is, how do I "add the virtual machine to the VMM server as a managed entity" on the new SCVMM server.

I can already view all VMs in the new SCVMM instance.  I do not see any method of telling the VM that it is managed by the new VMM server.

Thanks!

-=Chris

<button class="msaActionText">In reply to CarolKok post on August 9, 2013</button>

I have an update to this problem.

Now that DPM is looking at my second SCVMM server, my second SCVMM server is exibiting the same problem as the first.  I am unable to connect to the console anymore.

You can see from the screenshot below that:

1) The vmmservice.exe appears to be running with no problem.

2) There are no recent errors in the event log that appear to pertain.  The WMI error is:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 1 WHERE TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_ComputerSystem' AND PreviousInstance.RequestedState <> TargetInstance.RequestedState" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/virtualization/v2" because of error 0x80041010. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

3) The console is unable to connect.

4) The vmmservice has literally hundreds of instaces running listening on 8100.

If I restart the vmmservice all of the TCP connections disappear and I can reconnect to the console.

This same problem is now effecting two SCVMM servers.  The whole reason I built the second server was the first was crashing with the same behaviour as you see above.  The only difference between the two SCVMM servers is that I have not yet integrated Operations Manager on the second server.  I did that in order to rule out SCOM as the reason for the SCVMM crashing.

-=Chris

Monday, August 12, 2013 6:37 PM