• Question

• Hello,

I tried to identify all monitors used in SCOM for Exchange:

Select * FROM Monitor
    Where MonitorName like '%Exchange%'

Select * From Monitor
    where ManagementPackId in (Select ManagementPackId from ManagementPack 
    Where MPName Like '%Exchange%')

between this two query I have some discrepancies the first one will display 211 Monitors and the seocnd one 228 as there are some Monitors without the word exchange in their Monitor name so which one is closer to the real word?

I have done some tries with the powershell but it seems to be the same differences and also I need the content of this monitors... any idea?

MP Viewer

or

Script

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jonathanalmquist/archive/2010/03/15/export-unit-monitors-including-thresholds.aspx

but this list contains only 1,055 monitors which is lower than the 4,000 + I have listed from the Monitor table... Any exclusions?

Thanks,

Dom

System Center Operations Manager 2007 / System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2 / Forefront Client Security / Forefront Identity Manager

Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:29 PM

Answers

• There can be many management packs in your system called "exchange" - so you may be seeing duplicates.  Each MP for each version of exchange (and there are three for Exchange 2007 alone) will typically duplicate or overlap in functionality in terms of monitor counts.

If you want to see what monitors and rules are in exchange, open the pack you use with the authoring console and look at the list.  Since you can duplicate that function with the powershell SDK as well, if you start by opening the MP from a file, you can see what monitors it contains.

Do remember that contans and active are very different things as well.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, December 20, 2010 6:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:05 AM
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Your best bet is to use POSH and get-managementpack, then in the pipeline get-monitors.  You can then count the monitors (or rules) and it will be accurate, because you're piping in on the MP you want to work with.

Getting the actual CONTENT of the MP is another story.  The Exchange 2010 MP is particularly difficult to work with, because CD elements are buried deeper in the monitor configuration than in most other MP's.  MPViewer will not work for this, nor will MP Studio work (at least not very well).  Creating a script to do this is a side project I've been working on for a while, but it's turning into quite a challenge to make it generic enough to use it against any MP.

To get a list of monitors in a MP: get-managementpack -name 'Microsoft.Exchange.2010' | Get-Monitor | select DisplayName

To get a count of monitors in a MP: get-managementpack -name 'Microsoft.Exchange.2010' | Get-Monitor | Measure-Object

HTH, Jonathan Almquist - MSFT
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 12:57 AM
  • You can get multiple MP's and use getMonitors in the pipeline, like this:

get-managementpack | where {$_.name -like 'Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2007*'} | foreach-object {$_.getMonitors()} | select DisplayName

Library MP's should only contain types, not monitors, so you don't need to query the library in this case.

• Marked as answer by Felyjos Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:47 PM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:17 AM

All replies

• There can be many management packs in your system called "exchange" - so you may be seeing duplicates.  Each MP for each version of exchange (and there are three for Exchange 2007 alone) will typically duplicate or overlap in functionality in terms of monitor counts.

If you want to see what monitors and rules are in exchange, open the pack you use with the authoring console and look at the list.  Since you can duplicate that function with the powershell SDK as well, if you start by opening the MP from a file, you can see what monitors it contains.

Do remember that contans and active are very different things as well.

Microsoft Corporation
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Your best bet is to use POSH and get-managementpack, then in the pipeline get-monitors.  You can then count the monitors (or rules) and it will be accurate, because you're piping in on the MP you want to work with.

Getting the actual CONTENT of the MP is another story.  The Exchange 2010 MP is particularly difficult to work with, because CD elements are buried deeper in the monitor configuration than in most other MP's.  MPViewer will not work for this, nor will MP Studio work (at least not very well).  Creating a script to do this is a side project I've been working on for a while, but it's turning into quite a challenge to make it generic enough to use it against any MP.

To get a list of monitors in a MP: get-managementpack -name 'Microsoft.Exchange.2010' | Get-Monitor | select DisplayName

To get a count of monitors in a MP: get-managementpack -name 'Microsoft.Exchange.2010' | Get-Monitor | Measure-Object

Sunday, December 19, 2010 12:57 AM

get-managementpack -name 'Microsoft.Exchange.2010' | Get-Monitor | select DisplayName

but this means I ned first to run get-managementpack | export-csv MP.csv

then manually collect all MP which contains Exchange and then get the one which looks like to use Exchange Monitors... etc ... so it is okay to do it but it is long..

Thanks,

Dom

System Center Operations Manager 2007 / System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2 / Forefront Client Security / Forefront Identity Manager
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 1:02 AM
  • Hello Dan,

for Exchange 2007 I am getting more than three MP when running Get-ManagementPack

FSMPack2007_FSE
    Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2007.Discovery
    Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2007.Library
    Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2007.Monitoring.Cas
    Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2007.Monitoring.Edge
    Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2007.Monitoring.Hub
    Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2007.Monitoring.Mailbox
    Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2007.Monitoring.UM
    Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2007.Reports
    Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2007.Reports.SLM
    Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2007.Template
    Microsoft.Exchange.Server.Library
    Microsoft.ForeFront.Exchange
    Microsoft.ForefrontProtection.FPE

I am getting 10 for Exchange 2007 alone ... not 3 and then I added the Core (1), the Forefront for Exchange (3) and Overrides (2)...

does this look like correct?

so I will need to run the command from Jonathan on each of them now...

Thanks,
    Dom

Thursday, December 23, 2010 1:28 AM
  • You can get multiple MP's and use getMonitors in the pipeline, like this:

get-managementpack | where {$_.name -like 'Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2007*'} | foreach-object {$_.getMonitors()} | select DisplayName

Library MP's should only contain types, not monitors, so you don't need to query the library in this case.

• Marked as answer by Felyjos Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:47 PM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:17 AM
  • excellent thanks
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:54 PM