none
Upgrading the Windows 2012 R2 Standard operating system with Hyperv Cluster

Question

• Hello friends,

I have an environment with Windows 2012 R2 with Hyperv Cluster Failover and I need to upgrade the version from Standard to Datacenter.

I know I can use (dism.exe) to do the upgrade but I believe I may have some problem with the cluster because of the difference in version of the S.O.

Has anyone ever done or knows a blog that explains the procedure?

Thank you.
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>I know I can use (dism.exe) to do the upgrade but I believe I may have some problem with the cluster because of the difference in version of the S.O.

I ran a cluster validation test for two server , one is server 2012R2 standard , the other is server 2012R2 datacenter.

The validation passed .

Hope it is useful to you .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 9:06 AM
  • Hi Sir,

>>I know I can use (dism.exe) to do the upgrade but I believe I may have some problem with the cluster because of the difference in version of the S.O.

I ran a cluster validation test for two server , one is server 2012R2 standard , the other is server 2012R2 datacenter.

The validation passed .

Hope it is useful to you .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hi,

thanks for the answer. Yes, it did. I'm doing LABs to help me clear those doubts.

If I have my hyperv cluster servers are standard and I need to create more than two virtual servers then it is better to buy the datacenter licenses.

That means I just need to use DISM to upgrade my virtual servers from standard to datacenter.

I need to upgrade the standard hyperv servers to datacenter, too?

I believe that to be compliant, yes. But my doubt is in practice.

Virtual servers, when trying to upgrade to datacenter using DISM, will there be any errors, because the host servers are still in the standard version?

Thank you.
    Friday, April 28, 2017 3:20 PM
  • You don't need to upgrade the server to assign a license to the host.

Ideally, you'd run Hyper-V Server and then just assign a Datacenter license to that physical host.

Also, if you're only going to have 3 or 4 VMs you don't need Datacenter, just assign a 2nd Standard license to the host.

Friday, April 28, 2017 3:31 PM
  • You don't need to upgrade the server to assign a license to the host.

Ideally, you'd run Hyper-V Server and then just assign a Datacenter license to that physical host.

Also, if you're only going to have 3 or 4 VMs you don't need Datacenter, just assign a 2nd Standard license to the host.

So if I have the following scenario:

Two hyperv 2012 R2 standard servers. (Licensed with standard)
    Two standard virtual servers (licensed the same as the host).

I need to create two more VMs or more VMs ... so I bought it, a datacenter, which is more cheaply, aiming for future growth.

Can I license the new VMs with the datacenter license, need to upgrade the existing data center hosts and VMs to datancenter, too?

This confusing.
    Friday, April 28, 2017 4:06 PM
  • This is a technical forum, not a legal forum, and a license is a legal agreement between you and Microsoft. You can find the virtualization licensing documentation here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/product-licensing/virtualization.aspx

VMs do not need to be upgraded as Microsoft licenses physical hosts, not VMs.

tim

Saturday, April 29, 2017 12:55 PM
  • I would go ahead and upgrade the management operating systems to Datacenter because that enables the Automatic Virtual Machine Activation feature. Then, when you install guests, you just enter the matching AVMA key. That page lists keys for 2016, which you can't use because you have only 2012 R2 management OS and licenses. You don't need to do anything with the existing VMs. Doing this doesn't affect your legal standing in any way, but it makes your life easier with key management.

But if you haven't made any purchases yet, take what Tim says to heart. Datacenter doesn't make any sense until you pass something around 10 VMs, depending on what discounts you're entitled to. Spend 10 minutes on the phone with a credentialed license reseller and figure this out.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Saturday, April 29, 2017 5:11 PM