When opening a master plan, I always have to do this... is there a workaround? RRS feed

• Question

• HI all, when I open a project I am working on (a MS Word 2016 master plan, with 3 linked docs), I always have to go to View / Outlining / Show Document / Expand Subdocuments / Close Outline View before I can work on the complete project. Is this the way it is, or is there an option (somewhere) that I can click and have Word just do this on open. 

I also noticed a bunch of strange style changes during the process of dissecting the larger doc into those 4 files (master, and 3 linked). For example, all my footnote text changed from the a modified footnote style to normal. I think there is an issue with anything based on a modified normal style. 

Well, any help with the main point above is appreciated now :) 

Cheers,

Jigs

Jiggy Gaton, Trainer and Media Consultant for Nepal and S. Asia

• Moved by Perry-Pan Monday, May 28, 2018 6:31 AM
    Friday, May 25, 2018 9:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Jigs,

>>Is this the way it is, or is there an option (somewhere) that I can click and have Word just do this on open. 

According to my research and test, I'm afraid that there is no such a built-in option in Word to set "Expand Subdocuments" by default.

If you have more concern about this feature, you could send our team a feedback via File > Feedback.

>>all my footnote text changed from the a modified footnote style to normal. 

We could press Ctrl+Shift+S to see whether Footnote Text style is applied.

Besides, please try opening Word in safe mode to see whether the problem lies on any third-party add-ins. We could exit Word, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type winword /safe and then press Enter.

Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Jigs Gaton Monday, May 28, 2018 8:55 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2018 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Jigs,

>>Is this the way it is, or is there an option (somewhere) that I can click and have Word just do this on open. 

According to my research and test, I'm afraid that there is no such a built-in option in Word to set "Expand Subdocuments" by default.

If you have more concern about this feature, you could send our team a feedback via File > Feedback.

>>all my footnote text changed from the a modified footnote style to normal. 

We could press Ctrl+Shift+S to see whether Footnote Text style is applied.

Besides, please try opening Word in safe mode to see whether the problem lies on any third-party add-ins. We could exit Word, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type winword /safe and then press Enter.

Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Jigs Gaton Monday, May 28, 2018 8:55 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2018 6:31 AM
  • Hi Perry, thx for that! I think I am all good now as far as styles go. I think that during the cutup process, styles were lost and some items like captions and footnotes reverted to "normal" - but all is fixed now and the document assembles nicely and also can be edited as parts. Thx again for getting back to me :) 

Cheers,

Jigs

Monday, May 28, 2018 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

So glad to see that your issue has been fixed. 

If you have other question, please feel free to post here. We are willing to help :)

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, May 28, 2018 9:02 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2018 9:01 AM
  • Your description suggests you're using Word's 'Master Document' feature. Unless you enjoy losing all your work, don't do that - Word's 'Master Document' feature is a reliable path to document corruption. See:
    https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm
    https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm
    http://www.addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, May 28, 2018 11:19 PM
  • Hi Paul. Thx for the tip, but don't you think that in the 7 or so years since that doc was written that MS has not improved the integrity of section breaks? I've dealt with corrupt files before, and it's true that the last section break in a doc acts like some sorta holy grail of word-processing, and often corrupts, but I can't see how there would be any data loss in this day and age, do you?

In my case, I have a somewhat standard type of doc (title page, TOC/LOF/LOT, Introduction, Chapters (x3), Conclusion and Annexes). The splits are at the Chapter levels, so there are 4 docs in total. 

It did take a bit of work to get things right (described in my posts above), but all is working fine at the moment. My guess is that the bug that John McGhie discusses on that old website is the same one that has been corrupting word files forever, and that occurs when peeps just begin cutting and pasting large chunks of formatted text from one doc to another willy nilly. In this scenario (where content comes from different machines, different levels of MS Word, and from different variations of Normal.dot), I've probably made enough cash from fixing those docs for clients to pay off a car loan (or two)! 

In my case, I am meticulous about creating docs in a "clean" environment and no one else touches my files once I begin work on say an editing job. I never use anyone else's content other than raw plain text. I use a virtual windows environment with snapshots  - and backups up the ying yang! Worst-case past scenarios, I've had to start a new doc and reformat everything from plain text to revive the corrupt doc. I've done that countless times without ever using master doc / sub docs, so I don't see how this could be any worse.

If there is some "other" mythical bug beast lurking that is specific to master / subdocs, I can't see it... and perhaps I'm being foolish to trust Word at all :) My guess is that you have to be methodical and protect the content like you would a child. 

Cheers,

jigs

• Edited by Jigs Gaton Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:17 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:12 AM
  • I don't know what issue you have with Section breaks, per se. I've used Word for decades and have never experienced any corruption issues with them. As for your reference to 'the last section break in a doc', I assume you mean the final paragraph break, to which all of the Section parameters for the last Section seem to be attached.

Granted, even ordinary Word documents do get corrupted sometimes, especially when people go overriding Style definitions will-nilly with direct formatting. In such cases, the corruption can often be 'repaired' by inserting a new, empty, paragraph at the very end, copying everything except that new paragraph to a new document based on the same template (headers & footers may need to be copied separately), closing the old document and saving the new one over it.

Tables, too, sometimes corrupt but can likewise be 'repaired' by:
    • converting the tables to text and back again;
    • cutting & pasting them to another document that you save the document in RTF format, which you then close then re-open before copying them back to the source document; or
    • saving the document in RTF format, closing the document then re-opening it and re-saving in the doc(x) format.

Do note that some forms of table corruption can only be repaired by the first method.

None of the above has anything in particular to do with Master Document corruption, though, which is much more severe and often results in data loss.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 2:05 AM
  • Paul, first, let me say that I appreciate any response to any help request that I make here. Thank you for your service. However, the doc u pointed me to made it clear that section breaks (especially the last one in a doc) is the problem with corrupt Master / sub docs. I can believe this, as my own experience with just one final section break is bad enough, and now you get a stack of them when you use the Master / subdoc function). So with that stack and then the use of local file links is how the magic happens (my guess). In this scenario, I don't see how data loss can happen using Word 2016. But perhaps I am missing something? Cheers,

Jigs

Ps. But if data loss does occur, this forum will be the first to hear it from me :) 

Jigs Gaton - CEO - Phoenix Consulting and Training Worldwide Pvt. Ltd. 

• Edited by Jigs Gaton Tuesday, May 29, 2018 2:39 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 2:30 AM
  • The mere fact that Master Document corruption involves how that feature interacts with Section breaks does not mean there is an inherent problem with Section breaks - they work just fine outside the Master Document scenario.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 3:25 AM
  • The mere fact that Master Document corruption involves how that feature interacts with Section breaks does not mean there is an inherent problem with Section breaks - they work just fine outside the Master Document scenario.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Ha, in direct contrast to what u pointed me too: https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm - which states that property tables hold what gets corrupted, and that these tables are stored in the section break. Makes sense to me.

• Edited by Jigs Gaton Tuesday, May 29, 2018 3:56 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 3:52 AM
  • If you say so...

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 5:56 AM