Window Live Email 2011 and replying to a digitally signed message RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Versign digital signature and I use Outlook 2011 and my operating system is Windows 7 64 Bt Ultimate.  I have Outlookl set up to automatically clear sign all my e-mail.  Sending digitally signed e-mail works fine however people that use Windows Live Email 2011 (or earlier versions) have a problem replying or even sending me e-mail after they have added my certifucate to their contacts.   The message they keep getting is that my e-mail address is not valid and needs to be added or something like that.  I have checked into it and given them the instructions I found:

1. Open the digitally signed messae
    2. Click on the blue ribbon icon
    3. Click Security Tab
    4. Click View Certificates
    5. Click Add to contacts

I did this for one person, it seemed to be working however the next day it was back to doing the same thing.  Two other users have the exact same problem and I could not even get it working for a short time.  I downloaded the latest version of Windows Live Email 2011, reinstalled it and even deleted my account and set it up again all without result.  Users that are using Outlook or Thunderbird have no problem replying to my digitally signed messages or just plain sending me e-mail.   All three of these users are running 32bit Vista and have done all the Microsoft updates.

I hope someone here knows how to fix this problem.
    Tkanks
    Al

Al Kaufmann
    Monday, July 4, 2011 5:17 PM

Answers

• I searched hard for a more appropriate forum, maybe Microsoft Technet should have a forum to help find the right forum?

The forum you suggest does not seem to have any solution and I really don't want to ask the question there now as I have come up with a work around solution, use IE9 to export the security certficate and then use Windows LIve Email to import this certificate.  This works with both Vista/Win7 users.  Of course both Outlook and Windows Live Email considers the *.CER file as dangerous, talk about paranoia taking over the world.  The solution to this was to put it in a ZIP wrapper.

Al

Al Kaufmann
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Your question is related to Windows Live suite, I suggest you to post the thread at http://www.windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=15 for help.

Thanks for understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 8:11 AM
  • I searched hard for a more appropriate forum, maybe Microsoft Technet should have a forum to help find the right forum?

The forum you suggest does not seem to have any solution and I really don't want to ask the question there now as I have come up with a work around solution, use IE9 to export the security certficate and then use Windows LIve Email to import this certificate.  This works with both Vista/Win7 users.  Of course both Outlook and Windows Live Email considers the *.CER file as dangerous, talk about paranoia taking over the world.  The solution to this was to put it in a ZIP wrapper.

Al

Al Kaufmann
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:25 PM