Unable to view some PDF files in IE RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who is having a problem with his 2 remaining XP systems. It's an auto repair shop and they use an online site to view schematics for vehicles, wiring, etc. These schematics are all in PDF format.

Many of them are viewable with no problem, but many are no longer viewable on the XP systems when using IE8. When you click the link on the page, for a minute fraction of a second you see the diagram flash in the window frame and then it goes blank. If you use another browser such as Firefox all the PDFs view just fine. But this client doesn't like change (hence the XP systems still in use) and doesn't want another browser but wants to keep using IE.

I have uninstalled Adobe Reader and reinstalled it, installed FoxIt Reader, reset IE several times, made sure all cache was cleared out. Nothing helps. So it appears that the problem is specific to IE8 since Firefox can display the PDFs fine on those same XP systems. I've also tried changing preference settings in Adobe Reader security and internet sections but they didn't help.

When you login to the website it flashes a message about "checking your browser" but doesn't give any errors as if the checks were passed.

So I'm checking here to see if someone might have an idea of something I may have missed. I believe that there must be some incompatibility at that site with IE8 that isn't detected, but I don't want to assume that if there is something else that can be done. I'd love for him to just use Firefox but he is adamant about using IE and not wanting to change browsers, even for one site.

Jonathan

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:03 PM

All replies

• I'm always amazed when clients want something fixed but don't want anything changed.  If they want to use old software, they need to understand that the world is moving on and eventually they will need to access something the old software cannot handle.

Can the client download the PDF files and view them with Acrobat Reader outside of IE?  Probably so in view of Firefox's success.  You have provided at least one solution to his problem.  It is his decision to whether to implement a solution or suffer the lack of access. 

You might inform him that it is only going to get worse as more and more sites take advantage of features that old versions of IE do not support.  If the client is really adamant and willing to pay, he can hire a hacker to add the necessary features to IE but the cost and time is hardly worth it.

You can lead a client to water but you cannot make him think.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 11:23 PM