How to uninstall McAfee?? RRS feed

• Question

•  I tried uninstalling McAfee but after the I select "Uninstall", a pop-up window is displayed then hangs there, nothing happens after that. I tried many times and the outcome is the same. How can I uninstall McAfee properly from my computer??

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:30 AM

Answers

• Finally I was able to uninstall the program using the Control Panel's "Uninstall/Change" option. Didn't do anything so I don't know why it can be done now though..
    • Marked as answer by jupseng Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:34 AM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:34 AM

All replies

• jupseng said:

I tried uninstalling McAfee but after the I select "Uninstall", a pop-up window is displayed then hangs there, nothing happens after that. I tried many times and the outcome is the same. How can I uninstall McAfee properly from my computer??

Have you tried uninstalling it from the program itself or from Control Panel (Programs and Features)?

If from the program (if it's an option) try running the program as Administrator

Same applies for starting control panel. Find the icon and right click it, then select Run as Administrator (if that option is available)

If this answer resolves your issue, please mark it as an answer. Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by Mandark Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:54 PM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Hi Jupseng

Which McAfee product is it you are trying to uninstall? McAfee makes many security related products.

There is a good chance that the problem is something in the McAfee program is still running and active and this is preventing the uninstall.

Your best source of information about how to do this is the McAfee Forums. There are many experts about McAfee products that answer questions there.

Go to the following website.

McAfee Support Forums - Powered by vBulletin:
    http://community.mcafee.com/index.php?s=73f5b4ab2710b01926899f98982309ff

Select the forum for the product you have installed and post your question.

Let us know if this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:23 PM
  • Hi,

The problem is there isn't any "uninstall" option available from McAfee itself that I can choose. Maybe that is McAfee's way of staying stuck with users once it has been installed..

I used the control panel to try uninstalling. There isn't any other option except to select "uninstall/change" which I did. The next thing a "McAfee Security Center" window pops up and then hangs there. The other programs are still functioning though..

Really can't find any alternative to uninstall! Shouldn't have used McAfee in the first place!
    • Marked as answer by jupseng Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by jupseng Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:32 AM
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 5:20 AM
  • Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for the advice.

I am using the McAfee Security Center. I have actually tried stopping it before trying to uninstall but still doesn't work. :(

I visited the site, there was a question on how to uninstall McAfee Security Center but the thread was closed. I need to register first (which I just did) before posting anything on the forum. Will update once any progress.
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 5:48 AM
  • Finally I was able to uninstall the program using the Control Panel's "Uninstall/Change" option. Didn't do anything so I don't know why it can be done now though..
    • Marked as answer by jupseng Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:34 AM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:34 AM