how do i safely remove a device from the usb ports in my dell inspiron laptop ( windows7 HB) RRS feed

• Question

• please tell me how to safely remove a device? the option doesnt show. I thought the option was listed 'hide' but its not present in the customize section of the taskbar and startbar menu properties. 
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:30 PM

All replies

• With the device plugged in, right-click Computer, click Properties > Device Manager (in the left pane) to see if the drive appears under ‘Disk drives‘. If it does, right-click it, click Properties > Policies Tab and check the box ‘Optimize for quick removal’. A USB ‘drive’ should have a check in this box. Restart the computer if you change anything. Internal hard disk drives use ‘Optimize for performance‘ and ‘Enable write caching on the disk’.

I suggest you always use the same port and don’t be too hasty in unplugging a device. Also, a common hardware problem is a bad connection caused by repeated off-angle insertions and removals. Where possible plug the device into an extension lead.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:01 PM