none
Windows 2003 Server and DNS RRS feed

• Question

• HI

I have situation where there are still Windows 2003 servers as domain controllers and while i have moved file services to a new server one of the 2003 servers is still DNS server. My boss thinks that there is nothing that points to that server but nobody is sure whether that is the case or not.

Now I should find out whether there are still some DNS queries coming to that server and if there are then repoint it to a new server.

How would I go about that. Would wireshark identify DNS queries to that server or there is another method that I can use to see what is making DNS queries if any to that server

Dalibor Bosic

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 10:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Bosic,

>>Now I should find out whether there are still some DNS queries coming to that server and if there are then repoint it to a new server.

Did you mean that you want to know if there are record of new server could be queried?

If yes, please run nslookup command, and enter set d2, you could check if record of new server is correct.

Here is information about DNS command for your reference:

Nslookup

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490950.aspx

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 11, 2016 1:50 AM