Gamer in need of help RRS feed

• Question

• I play WoW (world of warcraft), and I'm having trouble apparently with my display driver. When I play the game, it freezes, and this message pops up, "The ialmrnt5 display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality". Well I do everytime and no luck. I tried updating my driver and no cure. Do I need to get a new display and/or graphics card? If so, which one? I would prefer not to if this can be solved without spending >$100
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:03 AM

All replies

• same problem here did you found the solution ? same here tried to uprgraded driver no luck, maybe need new graphics card
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 10:58 PM
  • You should use the most recent Vista drivers for your card.  You should also make sure you get the right version for your processor.  The pre-packed drivers in Longhorn lack a lot of punch - I want my 1440x900 display resolution! =)

But yeah, recent Vista drivers are the way to go.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 4:37 PM
  • This may sound kinda harsh, but GET A CONSUMER OS IF YOU GAME!!!!!

This is a server beta, and any admin that is playing WOW on the company server should be fired.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 9:48 PM
  • i am getting really sick of the same errors..

it happens only on wow TBC, but not on any other WoW.

i a GM for the servers and my PC keeps crashing with absolutly no explanation.

i Can't do my job properly if microsoft wont give us a repair for this driver failure.

i am getting so mad at seeing that "blue screen of death"

this is a winxp error... considering all the problems that winVista has....  i will not upgrade to vista untill there has been a few svp that repair the problems with vista.....

i guess i'm lucky to have only that issue..

i have upgraded the driver.. disabled shadowing, and caching  but still recieve the errors..

HALP!!

Thursday, May 3, 2007 9:59 PM
  •  ccatlett1984 wrote:

This may sound kinda harsh, but GET A CONSUMER OS IF YOU GAME!!!!!

This is a server beta, and any admin that is playing WOW on the company server should be fired.

So does playing Solitaire while waiting for something to finish processing fall into this category?  Staring at a progress bar for extended periods of time can cause psychosis, you know. ;D
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 2:56 PM
  • Most of the people i see with this isshue have just ended up getting a new vidio card that dosen't use an intell based chip. I am working on the folowing system.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)  
    Processor   Main Circuit Board
    3.20 gigahertz Intel Celeron D
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
      Board: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P5PE-VM Rev 1.00
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1002 10/10/2006
    Drives   Memory Modules
    80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    70.67 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8527B [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST3802110A [Hard drive] (80.03 GB)
      504 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 512 MB (serial number SerNum0)
    Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
      Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.02 GB 70.67 GB free

And as far as i can tell I get "the ialmrnt5 display driver has stopped working" message every time the 3d flowerbox screen saver runs for a while. and i'm not replaceing the onboard just yet.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:33 AM
  • It has been a known issue that the onboard video drivers from Intel do not support the Direct3d which is the usual reason for that error message.  since I do not see what type of video you have I have to assume that it is an onboard intel.  The newest of the onboard intel video chips still have an issue with high end 3d games.  I have been playing WoW with both ATI and Nvidia on Vista since middle of last year.  As of now, the game plays as fast as it did in xp, fps 69 to 70 at 1280x1024 24bit 8x, but I am using an Asus 8600 GT w/256 meg DDR3.

About the only thing else I can say is check on the intel site under the graphics cards specs page and see if it supports direct 3d, that is IF you are using an onboard video chipset.

And to the person that posted get a consumer version of windows, VISTA IS!!!!!, has been since jan of this year.

Glenn

Monday, July 2, 2007 5:53 PM
  • To the original gamer in help!

I am aving exactly the same error, Have you found a solution that works yet? ive tried updating the drivers etc but nothing seems to be working.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 5:27 PM
  •  

I have the same problem. Cant belive that buying a new graphics card can be the only way of solving the problem.

I could play normal WoW fine, but now after i bought TBC i expeience constant crashes.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 11:01 PM
  • So the ialmrnt5 driver issue is a known issue, but maybe it is only known to techie folks, not ordinary folks. Really, we need some help. I am sitting at this DELL computer, don't know all the specs, but you're saying too bad? This horrible error has hit me three times today. 1-when i let the computer sleep, 2-when i was playing a POGO game , certainly not high end 3-d, and 3-when I was looking at Google mail. I could sure use some advice on this. aaah, it did it again!

Saturday, August 4, 2007 2:21 PM
  • I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM,BUT IT IS HAPPENING WHEN I INSTALLED A GAME I BOUGHT FOR MY DAUGHTER. PLEASE HELP ME.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 1:13 AM
  • IT HAPPENED TO ME AFTER I INSTALLED A 1GB RAM MEMORY IN MY IBM PC. PRIOR TO THAT, I WAS WORKING WITH 256 MB RAM AND HAD NO PROBLEMS.

P.S. I DON'T USE MY PC FOR GAMES AT ALL. MAINLY HOME BUSINESS.

ANY SOLUTIONS?

Sunday, August 19, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Bleh, nobody's posted in this thread since the 19th... anyway.  I've been playing GuildWars with no problem whatsoever on this computer ever since I got it (I guess it's about a year or so old now).  Today marked the first day of the preview weekend for the new expansion, and BOOM, all of a sudden my stupid ialmrnt5 driver keeps IMPLODING.  ugh! So either the error message pops up saying that if I reboot something will pop up and I should follow the steps to fix the problem (but nothing ever pops up), or my game freezes, ORRRRR I get the stupid blue screen of DEATH.  I have no idea what's going on, but buying a new video card (as previously suggested in this thread) won't work as this is a laptop and the guys at CompUSA basically said I can't change the video card on this thing.  Any help would be much appreciated. 

Friday, August 24, 2007 11:53 PM
  • Ah, sorry for double-posting, but a search on Google has garnered this: http://developer.intel.com/support/graphics/intel915g/sb/CS-016497.htm

I hope that helps y'all! I just finished installing it on mine and will test it by running my game shortly.  ... funny how this didn't happen until the new expansion came out for my game...  ^<__<^;;

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:16 AM
  • All the above (after doing them did not help. I have the problem (ialmrnt5) since I got a new Monitor Acer 2223W (22 inches Wide). I get this message playing Poker... I also have a problem using Adobe Photoshop : the Ctrl key with + or - does not work to make a picture bigger or smaller ?

Can somebody help me please ?

Thanks !

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:18 AM
  • sir kindly tell me how to solve this problem

Saturday, September 15, 2007 10:44 AM
  • This is what fixed mine. Go here to detect and update your driver.

http://developer.intel.com/support/graphics/detect.htm

• Proposed as answer by azparrotlover Monday, March 30, 2009 6:47 AM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 6:44 AM