none
DPM 2010 Long term storage backups RRS feed

• Question

• I have noticed on my long term DPM jobs that it appears as if the backup is being pulled from the agent and not from the latest replica. I have read a few posts here stating the the long term tape jobs do in fact pull from the latest replica and not from the agent. My DPM server is in a colo facility and backing up over a VPN tunnel. Every time I run a long term job the network traffic, and local resources on agent systems take a huge hit. Is anyone else seeing anything like this? Is there some kind of validation process that goes on across the network that could be causing this? Where in DPM management os powershell can I look to see what DPM is doing during the long term job?

Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2 x64

MSDPM 2010 3.0.7706.0

Friday, December 9, 2011 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When doing D2D2T backups, all long term backups are taken from the latest recovery point for the replica volume and there is no need to communicate with the protected computer directly.   You can see this by opening task manager and under performance, start resource monitor.   After a long term backup to tape job starts, look under the disk section and you will see the volume shadow copy that was mounted and what DPM is reading from to copy the data to tape.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 1:02 AM