Bulk change users email addresses RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently going though a rebranding at work and I am looking for a Powershell script I can run to change everyone's exchange default email address to be the new one. I'd like to keep all existing email addresses users have, but add the new one and set it as default. We use Exchange 2010. I'm a relative newbie to Exchange but have a little Powershell knowledge so any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:02 AM

Answers

• You might not need to do that depending on your configuration of the Email Address Policies. If you add that new secondary address to the Email Address Policy, set that as REPLY, and then APPLY the policy, it should add it to the users.

If you want to export all of the user's SMTP addresses beforehand to be sure that there are no issues afterwards, you can do that with a simple line:

Get-Mailbox -resultsize unlimited | Select DisplayName, MailboxDatabase, PrimarySMTPAddress, {$_.EmailAddresses} | Export-CSV C:\Temp\MyUsers.csv -notype

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:35 PM
  • The application of the policy won't remove any addresses. If the new primary proxy address is different to the old one then the old one will just be demoted to a secondary proxy address.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:20 AM

All replies

• You might not need to do that depending on your configuration of the Email Address Policies. If you add that new secondary address to the Email Address Policy, set that as REPLY, and then APPLY the policy, it should add it to the users.

If you want to export all of the user's SMTP addresses beforehand to be sure that there are no issues afterwards, you can do that with a simple line:

Get-Mailbox -resultsize unlimited | Select DisplayName, MailboxDatabase, PrimarySMTPAddress, {$_.EmailAddresses} | Export-CSV C:\Temp\MyUsers.csv -notype

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:35 PM
  • If I use the Email Address Policies to add the new domain will that remove any of the existing email address users have? We would still want emails sent to the old domains/email addresses to be received but have the new one as the default email address for users.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:19 PM
  • The application of the policy won't remove any addresses. If the new primary proxy address is different to the old one then the old one will just be demoted to a secondary proxy address.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:20 AM
  • Hi,

Agree with the above suggestions, we can create a new Email Address Policy to add a new SMTP address for all users and set it as default.
    For more information , you can refer to the following article:
    http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-server-2010-email-address-policies/
    Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Additionally, if you also want to change the SMTP address suffix, I recommend you also add it to the accepted domain:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124911(v=exchg.141).aspx

If you have any question, please feel free to let me know.
    Thanks,

Angela Shi
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:47 AM